Hearts of Palm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I picked up a can of hearts of palm today. I'm looking for ideas of ways to cook them, rather than use them in a salad.

Ideas, please?

I picked up a can of them once by mistake as I wanted to make an artichoke dip, but used about the same recipe for the dip Cheryl posted. It was delicious.

I have a can of them that has been in the pantry for ages, and I'm going to give that soup recipe a go AB. Thanks.

I picked up a can of them once by mistake as I wanted to make an artichoke dip, but used about the same recipe for the dip Cheryl posted. It was delicious.

I have a can of them that has been in the pantry for ages, and I'm going to give that soup recipe a go AB. Thanks.

Good to know, Kay. I think I'll try that, and sub 1/2 C. plain yogurt for half of the mayo and sour cream.

Aunt Bea, that soup does sound good!

I just eat the cold canned HoP with a squeeze of lime juice as a cold side dish. Sort of a salad but....

I love hearts of palm!

I've had them before and I remember the taste as being similar to artichoke hearts.

I like the dip recipe. Like you, Cheryl, I automatically planned to use yogurt.

Aunt Bea, the soup recipe sounds yummy. I printed out a copy and will have to make changes, but I think it's doable. The potatoes are a no-no for my diabetes, but I bet I can come up with a cream of palmito (?) soup.

I'll Google palmito too. I'd never heard of that word before.

I've had them before and I remember the taste as being similar to artichoke hearts.

I like the dip recipe. Like you, Cheryl, I automatically planned to use yogurt.

Aunt Bea, the soup recipe sounds yummy. I printed out a copy and will have to make changes, but I think it's doable. The potatoes are a no-no for my diabetes, but I bet I can come up with a cream of palmito (?) soup.

I'll Google palmito too. I'd never heard of that word before.

Be sure you bake it long enough to get it toasty brown on top Z. A pie pan works well, and veggie dippers of celery, carrot and bell pepper sticks are divine!

Last edited:
I've only had them in cold salads, so I'm no help! But looking for other ways to eat them...thanks for starting this thread. I have some in the freezer from the wholesaler I stop by every week...

When I was in Brazil, it seemed heart of palm were on every table.
I personally don't care much for them plain.
That was all my experience with them. One week in Brazil.

I would also use them in any pasta dish that is sort of pasta primavera. Chopped heart of palm, tomatoes, fresh herbs, a good dose of olive oil, either hot or cold, maybe topped with a few crumbs of parm, feta, or goat cheese.

Back
Top Bottom