Herbed Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I found this recipe in a magazine and made it one year for Thanksgiving, but my family wouldn't even try it. To them, sweet potatoes are orange and covered with brown sugar, cinnamon and marshmallows. My step-daughter at least tried it, but she said she didn't like it. I think she expected it to taste like regular scalloped potatoes. I loved it, but I can't eat it all myself. Maybe some day I will cut the recipe and make a small casserole for myself.

Herbed Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices. (I used the pale yellow flesh ones)

2 Tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs chopped fresh sage
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 C half-and-half

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl toss all ingredients. Transfer to lightly oiled casserole dish, spreading out slices with your fingers. Bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.

That sounds good, Carol.

I don't like the sickly sweet ones, either. I guess I am rude, but I won't even try them...LOL, now having Diabetes gives me a good excuse not to eat them.:LOL:

That sounds good, Carol.

I don't like the sickly sweet ones, either. I guess I am rude, but I won't even try them...LOL, now having Diabetes gives me a good excuse not to eat them.:LOL:

I never ate sweet potatoes in my life because they just didn't appeal to me. When I finally ate a baked sweet potato I was hooked! I don't think God intended for vegetables to be eaten with marshmallows on them. LOL

That sounds good, Carol.

I am not a big sweet eater. So I love being a diabetic. But the folks I really love are the ones who tell me their uncle is diabetic and he has sweets all the time. "It doesn't hurt him any." Well I am not your uncle. Perfect excuse!

The only time I will eat marshmallow is when the Peeps come out. Right now it is pumpkins and ghosts ones. Spike bought me a box of the ghosts. :angel:

I never ate sweet potatoes in my life because they just didn't appeal to me. When I finally ate a baked sweet potato I was hooked! I don't think God intended for vegetables to be eaten with marshmallows on them. LOL

The only veg I like sweet is making pumpkin custard...and I don't make it that sweet.

First hard squash I ever enjoyed was boiling it and mashing like mashed potatoes.

I am not a big sweet eater. So I love being a diabetic. But the folks I really love are the ones who tell me their uncle is diabetic and he has sweets all the time. "It doesn't hurt him any." Well I am not your uncle. Perfect excuse!

The only time I will eat marshmallow is when the Peeps come out. Right now it is pumpkins and ghosts ones. Spike bought me a box of the ghosts. :angel:

Yes, diabetics can eat sweets all the time if they choose. Unfortunately, the "hurt" doesn't show up until it's too late.

Two of my grandchildren who were adopted after their mother's death were adopted into a family where the grandmother was diabetic. It started first with just a toe or two. Then half of the foot. Then, the bottom half of the leg, then above the knee. By the time she died both legs well above the knees were gone.

Yup, she ate sweets all the time. And she was someone's grandmother. So am I, but I am not that foolish. :angel:

The only veg I like sweet is making pumpkin custard...and I don't make it that sweet.

First hard squash I ever enjoyed was boiling it and mashing like mashed potatoes.

PF, I would like to have your recipe for pumpkin custard. I think my husband would like that because he loves pumpkin pie but never eats the crust, just the filling. Then I wouldn't have to bother making crust at all!

PF, I would like to have your recipe for pumpkin custard. I think my husband would like that because he loves pumpkin pie but never eats the crust, just the filling. Then I wouldn't have to bother making crust at all!

Hi Carol, I use the same pumpkin pie recipe for the custard, the one on the Libby's can. I almost never make pie crust any more. I just put it in single serve ramekins and in a water bath in the oven. Same exact stuff, just baked without a pie shell:)

Sounds easy enough. I will try it! Thanks! Since I like the pumpkin straight from the can, I can make some for myself with no sugar and then add the sugar to make the rest for my husband. Thanksgiving will still be pie though....it's family tradition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom