Homemade hash browns are always gummy and bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fried my shredded potatoes forever and they still didn't crisp up. That is, until I followed the advice given here and bought a CucinaPro 313 Ricer/Spaetzle press for $9.94 from Amazon. When I pressed the shreds, I couldn't believe how much water came out. No wonder my hash browns stayed soggy and wouldn't fry up crisp. :ohmy:

I agree. Russets are fine. You can also par-cook the potatoes prior to frying in a few tablespoons of hot oil.

Mom always made home fries by cutting the potato in half, length-wise, then slicing. Hash browns were shredded. I can do the former, but the latter comes out gummy. I just think potatoes have changed. I consider myself a pretty darned good home cook. BTW, Mom & Dad were born and raised in New Hampshire, but both their families came from Quebec province. Both swear that their mothers couldn't cook worth a poop (and I never spent a lot of time with them, but the time I did spend just adds). Mom learned to cook from other military wives. Snitzel? Suki-yaki? Fried rice? Mom could do it all. But Daddy was a potato man, and she could cook potatoes to beat the band.

Go down south and ask for home fries and you will get a blank stare. They don't know what they are. I am afraid ATK got it wrong this time. Their potaotes are good, just not home fries as we know them. They are baked fries. :angel:

Another southern person that disagrees. I've had home fries (either cubes or thick slices) as long as I can remember and I'm over 50. My mom made them like her mom did and mom is 84 now and they certainly weren't baked. In fact, I don't think my grandmother, who was a farmer's wife, baked potatoes other than when she made scalloped. Otherwise, they were always fried or mashed at her table. Grandma used lard and bacon grease to fry. Mom updated for convenience by using Crisco or Wesson oil depending on her mood and what she had in the pantry.

Last edited:
We have home fries in colorado too. :ROFLMAO:

I just read this thread, and I am thinking along the lines of where Claire was. Mom's hash browns always came out crispy, and she grated them right into the hot pan! I have to dry them to have them turn out crispy. :wacko:

I've had home fries all over in the states for many years, and in Mexico and Canada too! Some of the chains, like Perkins and Denny's, do hash browns really well. Lovely with a dippy egg and lots of ketchup. :yum:

I'm also a fan of McDonald's hash browns....

Last edited:
I actually ruined my $100+ Scan Pan cranking up the heat to get the damn grated potatoes to fry up crisp! That was before I learned to squeeze out the water beforehand.

We have home fries in colorado too. :ROFLMAO:

I just read this thread, and I am thinking along the lines of where Claire was. Mom's hash browns always came out crispy, and she grated them right into the hot pan! I have to dry them to have them turn out crispy. :wacko:

I think that is the difference in oils/fats used in cooking today and yester-years. Even Crisco is significantly different from what I used when I was in 4-H, a mmmurph years ago.

The surface used to cook hash browns probably comes into play. I fry mine up in a wide non stick skillet for convenience sake. However, the oil tends to spread around on the pan, whereas with a cast iron skillet or a restaurant grill, you're starting with a better cooking surface.

I made the best home fries with lard and a 4x4 griddle on an old gas range that had started it's life at the Remount Ranch along the Pony Express Trail. Talk about a seasoned cooking surface!!!

What became of the range PF? Do you still have it? What a great story. I just love bits of history like that. Thanks for sharing.

Plenty of "home fries" to be found out west too! Been eating them my whole life, though I prefer hash browns for breakfast. I like home fries when they have the "add ins" like peppers, onions etc. ;)

Dawg, sad but true, I like Mickey D's hash browns too! Truth be told.....I never met a potato I didn't like!

Last edited:
What became of the range PF? Do you still have it? What a great story. I just love bits of history like that. Thanks for sharing.

The Head of the Chemistry Department at U of Wyoming had it in his kitchen and I was best of friends with his daughter from second grade till tomorrow. The stove has made it back East to New Hampshire after her father died and her mother returned home. My friend is in line for the stove when her mom is done with it, she lives in South Carolina.

The Head of the Chemistry Department at U of Wyoming had it in his kitchen and I was best of friends with his daughter from second grade till tomorrow. The stove has made it back East to New Hampshire after her father died and her mother returned home. My friend is in line for the stove when her mom is done with it, she lives in South Carolina.

Your friend is lucky indeed. Thanks again for the story. I love it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom