How about a little romanesco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I spotted romanesco at my local organic store and was tempted to pick some up, if only for the "thrill factor", but have never eaten or prepared it before? I've read that it can be used in much the same way as other inflorescent vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, but had to consult you all before taking the plung with this very unique looking veg! Does anyone have any thoughts when it comes to romanesco? :)

romanesco.jpg

Origin of this vegetable?

Hi,

I simply steam romanesco, which runs less risk of getting mushy than brocholi.

I was wondering: is this a recently created vegetable? With a name like "romanesco", I assume it is of Italian origin. A brief Web search hasn't helped. Does anyone know?

All the best,
Alex R.

I've seen it offered in seed catalogues for years. It's just one of those vegies, like kohlrabi, that isn't that widely grown. That's a beautiful head...I'd be tempted to break of the little crowns and try it raw with some ranch dip.

Constance said:
It's just one of those vegies, like kohlrabi, that isn't that widely grown. That's a beautiful head...I'd be tempted to break of the little crowns and try it raw with some ranch dip.
I ran a couple of finger tips over a little bit of a head of it in the store and it felt harder (to my quick touch) than broccoli or cauliflower, I wonder how crisp/hard it is when it's raw? I begining to get curious as to how it would taste in a soup? :)

Back
Top Bottom