How do I make hashbrowns from potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERTON

Assistant Cook
how do i make hashbrowns from scratch? are there special machines that will shape the potatos for me?

Generally, you can use a cheese grater to shred your potatoes. Then, you can saute them in oil till golden brown, making sure not to stir them around too much (so they stick together).

If you prefer a cubed hash brown, you can just dice the potatoes with a knife.

I look forward to the reply's...
I have tried and tried Merton, to no avail~
img_316442_0_0c02ab6c593ac9b2929934c3eeae3c39.gif

Good Ol' Pan Fry's have always saved the day in Texas!:LOL:

An easy way to make shredded hash browns is to shred potatoes on a grater (put in a bowl of cold water if you need to make a lot), meanwhile heat up a good skillet with some oil, shortening or spray in it on medium to medium-high heat. Drain the shredded potatoes, put half in a layer over the bottom of the skillet, add some thinly sliced onions if wanted, season a bit (I like Schilling's "It's a Dilly"). Put the other half of shredded potatoes over the top, cover with a lid and let cook for about 10-15 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 10 minutes. I just cut this into wedges to serve.

yup. this thread could be ended and these 3 posts could sum it up.......but I will add my $.02.

Make sure the pan is not too hot. use a ring mold to control shape. Use BUTTER(rendered bacon fat). A little shredded onion is a welcome addition.

Here's how I do it but it's surely not the only way.

Boil Russets for about 20 minutes then rinse in cold water, peel, and shred on a box grater. For every potato add a a little salt & pepper and onion powder or a couple strokes of onion on the grater. Drop into shallow hot oil in a frying pan and don't fiddle with them for a couple/few minutes while a crust forms then unsticks on the bottom of the pan. Turn and cook for a couple/few more and they're done.

I also like cubed taters with onions a peppers but that's a different thing.

Last edited:
The yet unmentioned key to great hash browns is to get as much water out of the grated potatoes as possible. Use either a salad spinner or, even better, wrap them up in a towel and twist to wring out the water.

Thanks

Andy M. said:
The yet unmentioned key to great hash browns is to get as much water out of the grated potatoes as possible. Use either a salad spinner or, even better, wrap them up in a towel and twist to wring out the water.

Thanks again, Andy M. This must be reason my hash browns never are real. Never have been told to do this. Who told you or did you just experiment? Look forward to having them over weekend when everyone wants big breakfast instead of everyday oatmeal.

skilletlicker said:
Here's how I do it but it's surely not the only way.

Boil Russets for about 20 minutes then rinse in cold water, peel, and shred on a box grater. For every potato add a a little salt & pepper and onion powder or a couple strokes of onion on the grater. Drop into shallow hot oil in a frying pan and don't fiddle with them for a couple/few minutes while a crust forms then unsticks on the bottom of the pan. Turn and cook for a couple/few more and they're done.

I also like cubed taters with onions a peppers but thats a different thing.

that`s more or less the same way I do mine too :)
the uncooked method then yes, it must be wrung out well, but that`s usualy for potatoe rosti, assembled in something like a high walled cookie cutter (or even rings cut out of a tin can) and then cooked on a lower heat and for a little longer.

I shread and then soak for a while in salt water. Drain and then fry. They get crispy just fine. I do them on my electric griddle so I can control the temp. The salt adds to the crunchiness. IMO.

Great responses so far. One other key is to use a Idaho Russet potato they are lower in water content. Also I'm a firm believer in butter for its flavor and browning abilitity. Be patient and let them brown. I also like to use left over baked potatoes instead of boiling them. My other little secret for all baked or fried potatoes is to use Krazy Jane's Mixxed Up Salt and cracked black pepper as the seasoning.

JDP

i tried cooking the frozen in a bag type this morning... they left a nasty mess on my skillet and were pretty much just mush. that was the water in them causing that, right?

and should the skillet be fully heated before i throw in the taters?

I like cubed hashbrowns, more crusty goodness per cube than with shredded patties. I peel and cube my potatoes and cook in boiling water, six minutes after the water comes to a boil. Then fry in a combination of butter and oil. I usually add onions and peppers as the potatoes are frying.

MERTON said:
and should the skillet be fully heated before i throw in the taters?
Yes
MERTON said:
i tried cooking the frozen in a bag type this morning... they left a nasty mess on my skillet and were pretty much just mush. that was the water in them causing that, right?
One way to get a mess in your skillet and mush on your plate is to drop the potatoes into a hot iron or stainless pan and then start moving them around with your spatula right away. When the potatoes hit the pan they stick and slowly form a delicious golden brown crust then release or unstick. This takes a couple minutes or so. If you fool with them too early the crust stays stuck to the pan instead of the hash browns.

I won't swear to this but I think the frozen hash browns are blanched before freezing.

When I've made hash browns from raw shredded potatoes I soaked them in a bowl 'til the water was clear, then refrigerated them, then dried them well. I think it's easier to boil them first and the result is more to my liking.

When I make cubed or sliced fried potatoes, while the whole potatoes are boiling, I saute the onions and peppers, then add them back to the skillet after the potatoes are crispy.

When I was a kid ( and y'all know I'm older than dirt..LOL) my dad who worked in a Café in Colorado before I was born..( keep in mind he served 10 years in the Navy,( the Navy was before he met Mom) (was in the Merchant Marines during the 2nd war and the Korean war) But back to the spuds...

He always used Russets, grated them on a square grater, placed them in a clean dish towel and wrung them until dry. I haven't had any that good since then.

Andy, thanks for the salad spinner info that is a great tip.

Must respectfully disagree with your comment about cubed potatoes being homefries though. For us, homefries are wedges, hashbrowns are either cubed or grated and shaped into patties.

Back
Top Bottom