How long do you boil your sweet corn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
A friend gave me these instructions: Bring salted water to a boil, add corn, bring water back to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
I like it that way, but my husband doesn't think it gets cooked enough. But when he cooks it, it gets wrinkled and soggy.

So, when you all boil corn, how long do you let it cook?

I steam mine. I have a steamer thingy, an outside SS pot about 6 or 8 quarts, with a perforated insert. Steam them for about 5 minutes when it is young and tender, a few minutes longer when older.

Flashback to my culinary challanged mother, standing over the boiling kettle, 30 minutes passes, she muses, I wonder if the corn is done........on those were the (mushy) days........

Miss Connie

As you know, sweet corn at the peak of freshness can be eaten raw it is so sweet and tender. To your question, I only cook it briefly. Five minutes maybe?? Mostly I go by color. When it turns a darker yellow, its time to eat!!
Some folks also claim that boiling in "salted' water will toughen it. I dunno! I've done it both ways, and I prefer a little salt in the water. In my opinion if it is cooked to a wrinkly, soft point it is over-cooked big time!

So ya cook it like you like it! We all know who the boss is up there anyway!!:LOL:

Fun & Enjoy!

Yup, three to five minutes is all that's needed for young, sweet corn - then butter and salt it and eat - mmmmm.

Maybe when he cooks, he could put your corn in three minutes before his is done. My DH likes his hamburgers medium-rare, while I like mine medium-well so he just puts his on after mine have cooked for a few minutes.

Nothing worse thatn overcooked corn. Corn is almost all water and doesn't really need to be cooked much at all.

Bring well-salted water to a boil. Put in corn. Turn OFF heat.

Corn is done when you can smell it. About 3-5 min. Do not overcook it!

If I'm buying corn at the supermarket where - even tho the kernels look fresh & plump - I can't be sure how old it is, I put it in the pot, bring the water to a boil, boil for 5 minutes, & then turn the heat off.

However, when I'm buying from one of our local farmers, I put it in the pot, let the water just come to a boil & turn it off right away. That seems to be more than enough time for fresh picked-that-morning corn.

Drop the husked corn into a lartge pot of boiling water, bring it back to a boil and turn off the heat. Leave the pot covered for 5 minutes and your first serving is ready. The remaining ears will be good to go in the pot for another 10 minutes.

I usually bake it. Preheatthe oven to 350 F. Remove the loose silk and leave the husk on. Place the ears directly on the oven shelf and bake for 30 minutes. Peel and serve.

I've always wondered how long it took to boil corn. I haven't had it that way in ages. I've been grilling corn a couple times a week for the past several weeks. In the husk, high heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Hard to believe there's such a big difference in cooking time from boiling..... at least for me. I think I'll stick with the grill though :)

pacanis said:
I've always wondered how long it took to boil corn. I haven't had it that way in ages. I've been grilling corn a couple times a week for the past several weeks. In the husk, high heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Hard to believe there's such a big difference in cooking time from boiling..... at least for me. I think I'll stick with the grill though :)

I only grill mine in the husk for maybe 10-12 minutes and it's well-cooked by then.

pacanis said:

Do you like your corn crisp or soft?

When grilling corn, we soak it unhusked for at least a couple of hours in water, so it steams as well as cooking from the heat. 10-15 minutes will do it, but we like it crisp and juicy, so the kernels pop when you bite 'em. :chef:

hmmm, must be a BTU thing. 35-45 minutes and the kernels are just starting to turn golden brown..... See

corn.jpg

I had a couple ears on for lunch that were calling me :) Sorry for the quickie cell phone pic. Now to get my garlic butter, Italian seasoning and cracked pepper out of the microwave

bethzaring said:
I steam mine. I have a steamer thingy, an outside SS pot about 6 or 8 quarts, with a perforated insert. Steam them for about 5 minutes when it is young and tender, a few minutes longer when older.

Glad to see I'm not alone here. I steam our corn, too. Sounds as though you have the same type set-up as I do, beth. Takes far less time, overall, to steam corn because I don't have to wait for a huge mass of water to heat up.

I prefer to steam, saute, or grill fresh corn as well. I find that you lose some of the flavor when you boil it(or any other vegetable for that matter--color isn't the only thing that leeches out). I'll sometimes blanch the fresh kernals, but only for less than a minute and then I shock them in iced water. But that's the extent that they'll get in boiling water.

Ok..........are you guys talking about fresh corn on the cob? And you only cook it for 5 minutes or less? Are you serious? Is it a special kind of corn, or will any corn do? The fresh corn I get here looks like what Pacanis posted.

I’m curious now, so I’ll stop by the market and get some fresh and try this out tonight......but I can’t imagine it’s “done” in only 5 minutes?

Keltin.

I am talking "fresh" corn, as in less than 24 hours off the stalk! Grocery store corn (Mostly Fla. sweet corn) can be good, but never great when compared to true "fresh" corn. Buyer beware in the grocery, while the shuck may be a beautiful green always, pull the shuck back and give it the thumb nail test. If it does not pop "milk" in your eye then think long and hard. If you see any "dents" in the kernals walk away until another day!

Enjoy!

keltin said:
Ok..........are you guys talking about fresh corn on the cob? And you only cook it for 5 minutes or less? Are you serious? Is it a special kind of corn, or will any corn do? The fresh corn I get here looks like what Pacanis posted.

I’m curious now, so I’ll stop by the market and get some fresh and try this out tonight......but I can’t imagine it’s “done” in only 5 minutes?

Keltin, I think that it's being talked about in reference to varying degress of doneness. One person could say that their steak is done after grilling it 4 minutes per side, and the next person might think that the steak undercooked since they may only eat well done steak.

So in this context, I belive that the 5 minutes is because those who cook it for that little of a time, enjoy their corn (and probably other veggies) al dente and "rare". For someone who prefers their vegetables more cooked and softer, this wouldn't apply.

bethzaring said:
Beth, I have exactly the same kind of set-up, but I've never tried steaming corn. I shall give it a try!

I like my corn crunchy. Like Uncle Bob, I could eat it raw. On the other hand DH likes his soft. I suppose I could just leave his in a little longer.

Thank all of you for your great advice! I think I'll experiment with several different methods, and see what we like1

Oh, ok! Thanks Uncle Bob and Iron Chef. There is a produce farm not far from me, and a guy from there usually loads up a truck and camper and sets up “shop” in the parking lot of the gas station next to Piggly Wiggly. I buy Kennebec Potatoes, Squash, Tomatoes, peppers, etc, from him that he has picked that day. I’ve not seen corn from him yet, buy I’ll ask him for some.

The last corn I got "fresh" from Lucky’s (local food market here) was pretty good, but it did have a bad spot on one ear. When I cut the spot out, it was very milky, but no where near 24 hour fresh.

And I’ll take my steak and 4 minutes a side every time please! :)

Back
Top Bottom