How to add Depth to Vegetable Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As this has moved on to 'not-strictly' vegetarian, another of the easiest ways to add depth to a veggie stew is to add a dollup or so of demi glace.
Also mushrooms benefit from roasting, sprinkle a little oil on them along with some minced garlic and roast for approx 25 minutes (depends on the mushrooms being roasted) at 350 F. So better to err on the side of caution and roast for less time and eyeball them to sse if more roasting is required.

Last edited:
thank you all!!!

I have Marmite at home. I do use this sometimes, but I prefer not to, as it is high on sodium. It's processed after all. It was my own idea to use MArmite, and I was doubting my own brilliant idea, cos i'm so new to cooking. So it is great to know that there are people who use this too.So it is good to know that I'm smart after all!!!

Graet to know that i can roast garlic, onions, etc to add depth to my cooking. I can do that next time !!!

As this has moved on to 'not-strictly' vegetarian, another of the easiest ways to add depth to a veggie stew is to add a dollup or so of demi glace.
A
i had to check online to find out what's demi glace.

i don't think i will use that. it's too "Exotic". I don't think i can easily get it here in Singapore. But I can look out for it, when i go to a more cosmopolitan supermarket.

i'm looking for more simple ways to make my food tasty.

i will definitely use your roasting of mushrooms idea! I love mushrooms !

Cutting down on MSG isn't much of a problem for us. I use it maybe once a month, and neither of us has a bad reaction to it.Yes, Maggi seasoning which I love to use to marinate meats before stir frying, has MSG. "Accent" is MSG. If you have a problem with it, you should avoid those seasonings and read the labels when you buy other seasonings. But my husband and I don't, and I only use it occaisionally.

Last edited:
This may sound strange, but fish sauce, if used in extreme moderation, can add a great flavor to stews and soups, even stir fries. But again, be very very careful with the stuff as a little too much can completely ruin a meal.

Using herbs and spices will add depth of flavor to any dish, be it a stew, or fried chicken, or pumpkin pie. The trick is, learning how to pair the correct seasonings with the ingredients you are using. Something I did when I first was teaching myself to cook was to purchase as many herbs and spices as I could find. Frequently, I would open them up and smell them, without reading the bottle, until I could identify them by their unique aroma. When you can do that, you can start putting flavors together in your head, with a reasonable chance of success. You will fail a few times when actually adding flavorings to your food. But more often, you will succeed. And trust me, you will learn by your failures just as much as you will learn by your successes.

When you learn to identify herbs and spices by aroma, you will also be able to taste them in foods you eat at restaurants, and in meals you didn't make yourself. Then, when you find something you like, you can, with some practice, replicate it at your own home.

Good luck on your culinary journey. You will learn and become great, just like everyone else who is willing to work for what they want to learn.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Fish sauce, anchovy paste, and Worcestershire sauce. All vaguely related, and as Goodweed said, in moderation, can add a certain je ne sais quois to foods. Add them before you salt. You don't want the resulting dish to taste fishy or overly salty.

Back
Top Bottom