Husking corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
As I am husking corn for supper tonight and fighting to get the silk all off it, I wondered how everyone else does it,
I use a paper towel and wipe the corn and it get alot of it off.
pesty stuff

Usually, I cook in the husk. Lots of people will tell you you need to soak it--I just open the silk end, stick it under the tap until it's full, and grill or roast it. Once cooked, the silk comes off easily.

We don't like it on the grill, Had it many ways on the grill and don't care for it.
I like cook on top of the stove and then use different flavored butters to change it up. It has been a good year in my area for corn on the cob.

I've found that after husking, wiping it down, from the tip to the root, in the opposite direction that it grows, with a damp dish towel or cloth napkin loosens up and breaks off most of the silk. Follow that with a quick rinse under the faucet while sliding your hand over it and the silk will be gone. Don't be tempted to use a stiff brush. It will damage the kernels.

Letscook said:
As I am husking corn for supper tonight and fighting to get the silk all off it, I wondered how everyone else does it,

For stubborn silks try a soft scrub brush --- An old tooth brush works wonders ---

Enjoy!

I do kind of what selkie said. I don't bother with a paper towel though. I just run my hand tip to root a couple of times and rinse in running water. What doesn't come off then gets boiled off while I'm cooking them and is not a problem.

I usually just rub/pick it off, unless it's stubborn, then I use a veggie brush.

Slightly off topic, but have you ever tried grilling corn in foil? That's the method we landed on when experimenting with grilled corn. After removing the husks and silk, we put an ear of corn, 1/2-1 tablespoon of butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a square of foil. Wrap it up so that the edges are crimped and no steam can escape, and grill for 20-30 minutes, depending on the type and tenderness of the corn and the heat of your grill, until tender. You can add other seasonings with the butter, too - a half a medium clove of garlic (pressed or minced), fresh herbs, or spices. It steams in its own juices (and the moisture from the butter). Steaming is supposed to retain more nutrients than boiling, and you don't have to have a big pot of steaming water going on a hot day. Give it a try, it rocks! :)

I'm also a member of the "No Grilled Corn For Me Thanks" club. And yes, I've had in foil too. I just find the grilled smokiness completely wipes out the flavor of the corn. Personal preference, yes - but I'm the one eating it - lol!! Hubby feels the same, thankfully.

As far as the silk, I just gently rub as much off as possible with my bare hands. Find that any left comes off in the water while the corn is cooking. And although not very pleasant, it is edible, & part of eating summer fresh corn. I really don't mind it all that much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom