I hate zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.
I bring my doctor veggies and eggs all the time. OHIP pays for her services. She hasn't said that she cannot accept them. I know my grandfather (who was a pharmacist in a remote, rural area in northern MN) received payment in goods during the '30s and '40s. His family would not have eaten as well as they did if he had had to carry all those accounts on credit.

Just this week I've received a complaint from my doctor that she has too much zucchini...

Go figure. I'd offer to cook a zucchini casserole and share part with her but I can just hear her now, "Medical ethics prevents me from receiving gifts from patients."

Wow, 100 years ago you paid for your medical treatment by trading goods with your doctor. Now you know what happens when the government gets involved in medical treatment.

I give my doctors Christmas presents. They have never indicated it was a problem.

And if it was an ethics issue, it would have nothing to do with the government, which doesn't establish medical ethics.

It's one thing to have space for "gardening" - our lot is 40x140 feet and we have a fair-size garden. But you have three - correct? - *farms.* That's an entirely different scale from anyone else I know who does not actually farm for a living.

If it was me and DH kept planting more than we could reasonably use, it would go into the compost pile.

I would set up a road side stand!

I have seen some various recipes for stuffed zucchini. In some of them you just scrape out the seeds leaving the pulp intact, add prepared filling and bake. Others, you scoop out the pulp leaving just a shell, add the pulp to the filling, fill and bake. Do you eat the shell, or just the filling. I thought with the ones that you add the pulp to the filling you would eat just the filling, but then there's the ones that the pulp is left intact in the shell. I'm confused.

And if it was an ethics issue, it would have nothing to do with the government, which doesn't establish medical ethics.

Professional medical societies establish medical ethics for their members. My doctor is just probably more cautious than most. That's a lot better than being not cautious enough.

I would set up a road side stand!
We've done the Farmer's Market and the Roadside stand. Not worth the time it takes to get ready (FM) in the wee hours of the morning, the regs about cutting off tops of carrots, etc., and then when you're done at the end of the day, you have to do s/thing with everything left. Same thing about roadside stand.

And if you want to follow strict laws you have to get a business license, pay city/county taxes on your proceeds, then pay federal income tax on the profits.

We really screwed up in some ways when we went from a barter economy to a currency economy (and taxes and government and all that stuff.)

When you think of it, the government really kills a lot of the economy by either making it too complicated and expensive to deal with it and satisfy all the regulations, or you just wildcat it and ignore the gummint and sell your veggies or trade them (barter) for other stuff.

I like it just fine when I grow stuff and my friends grow stuff and we just give each other our excess. Let the gummint tax giving excess vegetables/fruit to friends, yeah, that won't ever happen.

And if you want to follow strict laws you have to get a business license, pay city/county taxes on your proceeds, then pay federal income tax on the profits.

We really screwed up in some ways when we went from a barter economy to a currency economy (and taxes and government and all that stuff.)

When you think of it, the government really kills a lot of the economy by either making it too complicated and expensive to deal with it and satisfy all the regulations, or you just wildcat it and ignore the gummint and sell your veggies or trade them (barter) for other stuff.

I like it just fine when I grow stuff and my friends grow stuff and we just give each other our excess. Let the gummint tax giving excess vegetables/fruit to friends, yeah, that won't ever happen.
My friends love the eggs the girls produce (I charge a fee for the carton or, if I deliver, a delivery fee--the eggs are free <g>). I love it that a friend barters her curry powder for eggs and another barters her floral arrangements--I love fresh-cut flowers. Now if I could find s/one to barter seafood...

A friend shared this photo/recipe on Facebook. No, it's not the friend who made it. But, I thought of zucchini haters right away. It's low carb and gluten free 'cause there is no grain.

ZUCCHINI PIZZA CASSEROLE

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...18619638018.1073741828.536494573073756&type=1

944610_554602071263006_254544883_n.jpg

That looks sooooo good! I saved this recipe previously but there was no picture with it. If anyone is interested, here is the nutritional info for this recipe. My only chance at having low carb pizza.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 cup) equals 311 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 754 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.

Even my zucchini plants didn't produce this year. I am so bummed. I love zucchini in casseroles (in place of pasta), and in ratatouille, bread, muffins, grilled, etc! Woe is me.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a loaf of zucchini bread?
Most recipes have walnuts, but it still turns out great without them.

Luca, you can also try this...
Slice the zuchinni (either medallions or lengthwise), dip in milk or egg wash, dredge in corn meal mixed with Old Bay seasoning, deep fry till golden. Salt to taste.
Now a word about Old Bay seasoning. It is a blend of spices that is mighty good on a wide variety of dishes. Old Bay Seasoning

It may or not be available on your side of the Big Wash. You can make a reasonable facsimile with these ingredients:

1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Old Bay is good on most everything....'cept maybe ice cream. :LOL:
You can now get Old Bay in Britain. I got my first pack from Amazon but I've seen it in Tesco more recently. Oddly enough the "American" shop (mainly sweets/candies with a few grocery items) in the village doesn't carry it.

Supermarkets seem to be getting on the band wagon these days. More people are picking up "foreign" cookery programmes on television and asking for the products they see there..

It's important to eat them when they are small. When they grow and start to resemble infant marrows the flesh gets tasteless and soggy. If I see very tiny ones a little bigger than my finger I snap them up and just have them steamed with melted butter

I like them raw and shredded in salad - in ratatouille which I eat as an accompanying veg, or as a pasta sauce - fried in butter - au gratin - steamed as a side veg. - stuffed with a meat stuffing - they're good in moussaka to if you don't like aubergines/egg plant. I don't take the skin off as it takes away a lot of the flavour and they get floppy.

For my gratin I butter a shallow dish and then rub a cut piece of garlic round the dish if I have visitors. Boil the whole courgettes in their skins for 3-5 minutes according to size then slice to a bit less than 1/8th of and inch and layer the slices with breadcrumbs and a little grated cheese (I use Cheshire or Lancashire or sometimes I'll let you chose your own favourite). If I'm eating alone I mince garlic and scatter it between the layers. Finish with a topping of cheese and bread crumbs and a few flakes of butter - yes, chaps, the real McCoy - and bake in a moderate oven until nicely browned on top and bubbling. A nice on its own for a light lunch or to accompany grilled, broiled or roast meat.

Thanks for the link. We'll be making the zucchini gnocchi with corn, pancetta, etc. I was getting ready to throw the gorgonzola we have in the freezer before it starts to get moldier (the bad kind) and we just bought a big log of pancetta from Restaurant Depot so we've got lots and lots of that.

Back
Top Bottom