I learned a new way to make potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
It isn't easy but it isn't hard.

I made just enough for myself so i only used one potato.

Peel potato and cut it into 1/2" cubes.

Bring to boil then simmer cubes under 1" water under tender but not falling apart.

Drain and return to pot and let sit 5 minutes.

Heat vegetable oil in 10" non-stick skillet until shimmering.

Mash 1/4-1/3 of the potato with butter and then gently mix with the cubes.

Add to the skillet and cook until underside is golden crispy brown. While cooking season the top of the potato with whatever you want (I used shallot pepper and garlic salt).

Turn on broiler and invert a cookie sheet. When it's golden crispy brown on the bottom, slide it onto the cookie sheet with the cooked side down.

Brush with a little bit of oil.

Put under broiler until golden on top! I made this Friday and am going to have to do this again today. If you make it for more people, use a bigger skillet and cut wedges like pizza.

Here's a photo:

Attachments

• fishing 002.jpg
    fishing 002.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 194
God girl that looks, and sounds wonderful... Just one question, how big was that potato, it looks to me like it's on steroids... :LOL:

Oh, yumm. I will definitely do this. I have a hard time getting hash browns to be crispy, and this sounds like a good alternative.

It wasn't that big, I used a Russet. I flattened it into the pan (forget to mention that) so these are not super thick...maybe the thickness of a medium-thin crust pizza.

I have trouble getting hashbrowns crispy as well, I'm told I don't use enough oil.

This was great because I didn't need a ton of oil (a couple Tbs).

Sounds good to me.

It's like a modified home fries recipe. If you used a CI skillet, you could just stick that under the broiler instead of removing it to a cookie sheet.

Looks good. I will have to try it. What are you going to call it?

I have trouble getting hashbrowns crispy as well, I'm told I don't use enough oil.

I believe most people don't give hashbrowns enough time. It takes a long time to get enough moisture out of the spuds to get them crispy. Try baking them the night before, then putting in the fridge. In the morning, just dice them, season as you like and brown in the skillet!

That looks really good + some fresh tomatoes! :D I guess I can a mouthful of that! :D

Back
Top Bottom