I want to make Ratatouille!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
This is my first time making Ratatouille and after much searching online for a recipe (non of my cookbooks have a recipe) I found this My Niçoise Ratatouille, even if I come from Lorraine — Ma ratatouille niçoise, même si je suis lorraine by La Tartine Gourmande

You need:
  • 2 medium sized zucchinis (11 oz)
  • 2 small eggplants (11 oz)
  • 2 shallots
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 lb + 2 to 4 oz tomatoes
  • 1/2 yellow pepper
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1 Tbsp tarragon, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp fine sugar
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Steps:
  • Chop all vegetables in small cubes.
  • Chop the garlic and shallots thinly.
  • Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a thick-bottomed pot (Le Creuset style).
  • Add the zucchinis and eggplants and cook for 5 mns until softer. Set aside.
  • Heat 2 more Tbsp olive oil and then add the garlic, peppers and shallots. Cook for 3 to 4 mns, until softer.
  • Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 5 mns before adding the zucchinis and eggplants again.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add the chopped herbs, the bay leaf and the tsp of sugar, and cook uncovered on low heat for 1 hour.
Note: I usually sprinkle coarse salt on the eggplants placed in a sieve, and let them on the side like this for 30 mns minimum. It helps with their cooking. In French, this technique is called dégorger les légumes. (légume = vegetable)

What do you think? I really wanted to make a traditional Ratatouille, I was surprised at how many different recipes I found!

Sounds good as is!! I like the idea of "sweating' the eggplant first too!! I always do that when I cook eggplant!

Oh "sweating" is Southern for the French term degorger les legumes!!;)

I respectfully add that, after many many years of growing & cooking many different varieties of eggplant, that the old wive's tale of having to salt & sieve them is just that - an old wive's tale.

A totally unnecessary procedure unless one has really old eggplant & thus wants to hide the flavor/bitterness.

Thanks Breezy, I was wondering about the eggplant part.

JP, I'll check out that recipe, thanks for posting it!

I made the recipe I posted here and it is soooo tasty! Even better the next day! I'm just eating the last of it for dinner. I liked the fresh tarragon vs basil which most recipes call for. I will definitely be making this again!!

Back
Top Bottom