Incidental Potato Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
wIn the spring or early summer, I was looking for some potato for dinner and found a russet that had seen better days. It was soft and had 4-5 inch-long sprouts. I showed it to SO and suggested she go out and stick it in her garden to see what might happen.

We watched a potato plant grow all summer, wondering what might be waiting for us below. She was eager to pick it several times but I kept telling her to wait until later in the Fall. Well, she was working in the garden yeaterday and saw that a critter had been at the potato plant. She dug it up and we had tiny baking potatoes growing. One had been eaten but we salvaged two little one which I will cook up along with dinner tonight. It was just an experiment. Maybe next year we'll plant earlier and get a bigger harvest.

Attachments

• DSC01810-1.JPG
    DSC01810-1.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Cool Andy! Ken dug up our potatoes just yesterday and along with the Red Norlands we planted he found a "volunteer" russet from last year. There were about 6 decent sized potatoes under that plant. I love surprises don't you?

LOL @ Alix, we call `em "Volunteers" also here in the UK :)

when I lived in my penthouse, I had a 3x8 foot balcony, I used to grow potatos in pots on there, the flowers had died the year before, I had a few I found that had been in the back of the larder hidding and had plenty eyes, so I shoved em in the pots, I had over 3 pounds next year and they were Great!, I left the baby ones in the soil and year after year for about 5 years we had free spuds for a meal or 2.

Splendid work Mal :)

In that case, slide your chair a bit to the right, then reposition your fingers on the keyboard.

I wonder how much bigger they would have gotten given another month.

Wait another month around here and you might be digging through a foot of snow to get at them. :LOL:

The tops were almost completely withered...so it was time...while I could still see where they were planted.

I always heard that to get the most produce out of your potatoes, wait until the tops die down to pick them.

My Grandpa White used to plant a whole acre of potatoes, which they stored in the "cave" along with other produce and home canned goods.

Can you imagine digging a whole acre of potatoes by hand?

Last edited:
I can't imagine digging even a fraction of that by hand!

Andy -- what in interesting experiment. I will def do this next year. I planted some sprouted garlic in the spring but nothing happened.

It's my understanding that you can cut up one potato and plant individual chunks as long as there is an eye on each piece.

Back
Top Bottom