Involtini - Aubergine Rolls w Mozzarella - Question
I would like to try this recipe, but wonder if the tooth picks will burn. I thought about baking the dish, but don't want it to get mushy, and still want the garlic flavor. Any other suggestions on a possible remake? TIA
INVOLTINI DI MELANZANE E MOZZARELLA or AUBERGINE ROLLS WITH MOZZARELLA
Mozzarella, preferably with buffalo milk but cow's milk mozzarella is ok
Finely chopped parsley
1 clove of garlic
Red and ripe tomatoes
- Clean the aubergine and cut it lengthwise into thin slices.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and set them aside for 10 minutes, in this way
they will loose some water and thus they will be easier to roll.
- While you are waiting, mix the bread crumbs with the chopped parsley and salt
- Chop the tomatoes finely, put them into a bowl, salt it, pour olive oil and
some chopped basil over it. Let it marinate for a while.
- Dry the aubergine slices and sprinkle a thin coat of the bread cumb mix over
- Slice the mozzarella thinly and put one slice on each aubergine slice. Make a
roll of each slice and close each of them with a tooth pick.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan together with the clove of garlic which you
have divided in two. Fry the aubergine rolls on medium heat, take care to fry
them all around.
- Serve them warm with the chopped tomatoes.