This recipe hails from Da Peppe which is located in the town of Rotonda, Basilicata in southern Italy. The eggplant rolls were filled with proscuitto di cotto, bufala di mozzarella, capers and anchovies ... They were divino ...
The Chef sends his best to Discuss Cooking ...
INVOLTINI di MOZZARELLA E PROSCUITTO COTTO ...
This recipe serves 6 appetisers ...
1 One and a half pound eggplant or two equally same weight
4 tblsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil = Evoo
4 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley ( Italian Flat Leaf )
3 tblsps grated Reggiano Parmesano
3 anchovy fillets drained
2 tblsps capers drained
1 cup of home made tomato sauce
16 thin slices bufala di mozzarella
16 thin slices of Proscuitto di Parma or other ham of choice
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. cut 16 one quarter inch thick rounds from center of the aubergine
3. arrange eggplant on paper towel covered work surface
4. sprinkle the aubergine with salt on both sides and let stand 1/2 hour and then pat dry
5. arrange the slices on a large baking sheet
6. brush both sides of aubergine with EVOO
7. bake until tender about 8 mins. and then let cool
8. Maintain oven temperature ( do not shut oven off )
9. lightly oil the 13x9x2 inch glass baking casserole dish and finely chop garlic in the Food Processor or via hand mincing.
10. add parsley minced, Grated Reggiano Parmesano, anchovies, capers ( rinsed of brine ) and 2 tblsps of Evoo.
11. Process in Food Processor until a paste forms
12. spread each eggplant round with 1 teaspoon of the paste and drizzle each with 1 tsp. tomato sauce
13. Top with anchovy mixture again and then a slice of Bufala di Mozzarella and Proscuitto di Cotto.
14. Fold each eggplant round over, forming a half circle and secure with a tooth-pick
15. arrange the eggplant rolls in a single layer in the glass casserole dish
16. drizzle remaining tomato sauce over the top
17. bake uncovered until cooked through 25 minutes
18. remove tooth-picks and serve with a cold beer or Prosecco or Lambrusco sparkling wine and hot oven crusty bread ...