ISO Brussel Sprout recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Years ago I was helping out a friend for a holiday party, and we sauteed brussel sprouts with butter. When they were done, we added salt, pepper and honey, then some toated pine nuts. Simple, but very good.

cook the sprouts until ready (ca. 20min), heat some garlic and herb butter in a pan, add the sprouts and saute, season with salt and nutmeg ;o)

thats a good question :)
Last time i made it was 20 years ago, i just remember it was good.
I dont remember the exact measurements or instructions.
Knowing me, id probably add a few extra brussel sprouts and taste them to see when i thought they were done.
Also, may want to try and use brussel sprouts of similar sizes so they cook uniformly

I guess u can probably even steam or boil them first to cook them, then just melt the butter , honey s & p afterwards, althought wouldnt have the same sauteed affect.

As far as a substitution to pine nuts, maybe chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds could do.

Sorry if im complicating all this, its just been awhile

Parboil your fresh sprouts until "just" tender. Timing will depend on the size & age of your sprouts. A sharp knife should just pierce one with a little resistance in the center. Start knife testing after 3 minutes.

Drain & toss/saute in an obscene (lol!!) amount of butter for a couple of minutes, being careful not to allow the butter to burn; season with salt & pepper & serve. Delicious!!

I also do this with frozen baby sprouts, which can be even better than older fresh ones, by just blanching them for a minute in boiling water & then continuing with the butter-braising.

This is how I do them to accompany our traditional Xmas roast goose every year.

I like roasting mine.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1 pound Brussels sprouts -- peeled, trimmed, halved
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 325° F. Place Brussels sprouts and garlic in a bowl, and add olive oil slowly, tossing so that sprouts are lightly coated.

Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil; return pan to oven and roast 10-15 minutes more.

I throw mine, shredded into pasta. Here's what I do:

Cook a few slices of center cut bacon till done, crumble, set aside, drain all the bacon fat but about a tablespoons or so..
Shred each brussel sprout (raw) toss into pan with the left over bacon drippings. when they are just wilted (they should still be bright) add cooked spaghetti heavy whipping cream to coat and tons of parmesan cheese, stir in the bacon. Salt and pepper. It's easy peasy. enjoy.:chef:

Looks like we're all on the same page - more or less.

I like to cut in half, steam until just tender and then toss into a skillet with butter and a smidge of bacon grease and saute for 2-4 minutes - then top with crumbled bacon.

I will try that, it can't get any easier than that. Although I do not have any pine nuts on hand, can I sub anything it is place?

:) You can use almonds, walnuts or Pecans toast them first add last after cooking. Another good way is to blanch them cut in half salt and pepper them then make some brown butter and toss them together.

I like to roast mine too. First, reduce some balsamic vinegar until thick.

Cut Brussels sprouts in half, toss with olive oil and kosher salt. Lay out in a single layer and drizzle with vinegar. Roast at about 375 for 15 minutes or so and see if they need turning. They will turn brown on the side down on the pan. Once browned on that side turn and brown on the other.

I have not had brussle sprouts in a long time. One of the few veggies I like, DH hates. I usually steam mine and toss with butter and cumin. Very tasty!!! Thanks for all the great ideas!

love them roasted but our favorite by far is a creamy baked recipe.

I'd be glad to share if anyone is interested,

love them roasted but our favorite by far is a creamy baked recipe.

I'd be glad to share if anyone is interested,

bdy3.gif
me, me...interested!

I like roasting mine.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1 pound Brussels sprouts -- peeled, trimmed, halved
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 325° F. Place Brussels sprouts and garlic in a bowl, and add olive oil slowly, tossing so that sprouts are lightly coated.

Arrange Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Remove and cover with foil; return pan to oven and roast 10-15 minutes more.

very similar: add chopped pancetta (Italian bacon) and a hotter oven 375 ... shake every 5 min...last 5 min sprinkle with balsamic . A sprinkle of thyme is optional.

ROasted sprouts, no matter how you do them, are great. ROasting brings out the sweetness and caramelizes them. so good!

Back
Top Bottom