ISO Fresh Beet ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I bought some fresh beets at Saturday Market. I had never cooked a fresh beet (only purchased canned ones that were pickled, thought they came that way :ermm: ). The farmer lady suggested tossing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and roasting (telling me not to cut them until baked). OMG were they ever good, just put melted butter and more pepper on them. I have about 5 left and cannot get to Saturday Market this week as my daughter is moving into her new house on Saturday, bummer. Anyone have a good way to roast/fix fresh beets???

This sounds good but I have not tried it, I have a hard time finding beet Ideas also.
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup cooked beets
2 tbs. butter
1 tbs. chopped parsley
Blend ginger, sugar and cornstarch in heavy saucepan, gadually add vinegar, stir until smooth. Place saucepan over medium flame. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add beets and butter, lower flame. Simmer gently 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley. Can also be used for carrots and sweet potatoes.

I love roasted beets! I just use olive oil and salt.

They're good in a mixed green salad too with orange sections, roasted pecans, dressed with an orange vinaigrette.

If you can buy the beets with tops ... even better. Roast or boil the beets (whole), peel & slice, drizzle with melted butter and place on a bed of steamed tops that have been drizzled with butter and balsamic. Delish!

norgeskog,

i have a special place in my heart, er, i guess that would be tummy (sorry , i mean stomach in adult speak), anyway, i love beets. pickled are always a favorite. borscht is, well, eastern european power food. but my absolute favorite is grated with fresh horseradish. my mil introduced me to this many easters ago, and it is an absolute must have now.

alas, this is one of the dishes we are now trying to reproduce, since she kept her recipe a secret to her grave. dw thinks she just boils, cools, skins, and grates the beet with a box grater. then she grates in a fresh horseradish root. you should be able to get fresh horseradish root in your farmer's market, if they're as good as they sound.

now comes the mystery. we are pretty sure she added a little vinegar; not sure if it was white or apple cider vinegar. then she added some herbs; possibly bay leaves. did she boil the mixture? did she add sugar?

we have decided to try different variations this year when my beets come to fruition in the garden.

but even plain, with just grated beets and horseradish, on a bed of greens with blanched asparagus, and a hunk o' farmers cheese and a crusty loaf, and a hearty red makes a good meal.

I prepared fresh beets for the first time last week. I made the beet casserole in the Joy of Cooking book. It is basically peeled then sliced raw beets, butter, a bit of brown sugar, lemon juice and a bit of water, covered in the oven for 30-40 minutes. It was really nice.

I am planning to try the roasting method next time. Beets are definitly an underrated vegetable.

Yummy!!

Pam

My favorite way is a salad like Han Art suggests. I use a sherry vinaigrette and add some crumbled goat cheese.

I also sautee beets and beet greens (DONT FORGET ABOUT THEM -- THEY ARE YUMMY!! AND GOOD FOR YOU) with some olive oil and garlic.

I like to use a couple of different color beets for contrast.

I peel before I cook them.

janetGood said:
This sounds good but I have not tried it, I have a hard time finding beet Ideas also.
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup cooked beets
2 tbs. butter
1 tbs. chopped parsley
Blend ginger, sugar and cornstarch in heavy saucepan, gadually add vinegar, stir until smooth. Place saucepan over medium flame. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add beets and butter, lower flame. Simmer gently 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley. Can also be used for carrots and sweet potatoes.

those sound good, Janet, and I absolutely love ginger. Thanks

HanArt said:
I love roasted beets! I just use olive oil and salt.

They're good in a mixed green salad too with orange sections, roasted pecans, dressed with an orange vinaigrette.

If you can buy the beets with tops ... even better. Roast or boil the beets (whole), peel & slice, drizzle with melted butter and place on a bed of steamed tops that have been drizzled with butter and balsamic. Delish!

Thanks HanArt, I love t he idea of the salad with oranges and pecans. ALso I get a wonderful champagne/orange vinegar from Trader Joes, you made my day. I had the farmer lady remove most of the green tops as I have no use for them, they use for mulch, but I did have some of the red stems, left them on to roast. They taste better with the added balsamic rather than just olive oil, S&P.

Buck's horseraddish with the beet idea remindes me of my aunts dish, only she made a jello mold (red jello) and put jullienne beets and carrots and celery in it, then made a mayo, sour cream and horseradish sauce for, now that was really good too.

Thanks every one for the great ideas,

norgeskog said:
Thanks HanArt, I love t he idea of the salad with oranges and pecans. ALso I get a wonderful champagne/orange vinegar from Trader Joes, you made my day. I had the farmer lady remove most of the green tops as I have no use for them, they use for mulch, but I did have some of the red stems, left them on to roast. They taste better with the added balsamic rather than just olive oil, S&P.

Lucky you with a TJ's!!! There's not a single one in the south. :angry: We stop at one in Indianapolis every year when we drive home to visit my mom in northern Indiana.

Keep those beet greens next time. Too good for the compost pile!!!

HanArt said:
Lucky you with a TJ's!!! There's not a single one in the south. :angry: We stop at one in Indianapolis every year when we drive home to visit my mom in northern Indiana.

Keep those beet greens next time. Too good for the compost pile!!!

My 'garden' is about 4x4 feet square and I have no place to make the compost, so I just give it back to the farmers from whom I buy the produce, the are able to use it. Sorry there is no TJ's near you, one may come there, however, they are in a growing mode, opening numerous stores each year. Find their web site (google trader joe's) and click on the new stores (or something similar).

norgeskog said:
My 'garden' is about 4x4 feet square and I have no place to make the compost, so I just give it back to the farmers from whom I buy the produce, the are able to use it. Sorry there is no TJ's near you, one may come there, however, they are in a growing mode, opening numerous stores each year. Find their web site (google trader joe's) and click on the new stores (or something similar).

I meant the beet tops are too delicious to toss into any compost pile. Really, try them next time!

Believe me, I've written to TJ's and a local developer who's looking for something innovative for a small vacant shopping center near me. I think the demographics around here are perfect for TJ's. We have a Whole Foods opening up in June, but that's in a more exclusive part of town. You need big bucks to shop there!

Beet greens are SO GOOD. Also happen to be a huge source of calcium. Another fresh beets prep is to just scrub them, then put on the grill when you're cooking something else. Let them darken on all sides, put aside to cool, then peel (when I do this, I don't use the beets for the meal I'm cooking that day; I cook them and set them aside for another meal). The beet will have a sweet, smokey flavor that is great just with butter or olive oil, S&P; mashed, sliced or diced. Since hubby doesn't like beets, I haven't tried to make soup with these, but suspect it would be delicious.

• I know this is a recipe with canned beets, but it sure is moist and tasty!!!
  • Chocolate beet cake
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can (15 oz.) whole or quartered beets, drained (reserve liquid)
  • 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup juice from beets
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • For icing:
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange rack in the center of the oven. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil.

In a medium bowl, measure flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.

Puree drained beets in a food processor or heavy-duty blender. Scrape into a large bowl. Add sugar, vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup reserved beet juice to the pureed beets and mix on medium speed until combined. Add eggs and vanilla extract, blending until completed incorporated.

Add flour mixture to the beet mixture. Using medium speed, mix until combined, at least two minutes, scraping down sides often. Add melted unsweetened chocolate and mix until combined.

Pour into baking pan. Distribute chocolate chips evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.

To make icing:
Melt white chocolate chips in a double-boiler or microwave, being careful not to scorch it. Cool until just warm, but still liquid. Scrape into a ziptop bag, squeeze out the air, and seal the bag. Cut a small piece from the corner of the bag and drizzle white chocolate in a zig-zag pattern evenly over the top of the cake. Let sit to harden.

For your enjoyment:

Roasted Red and Yellow Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Baby Greens

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:

Goat cheese dressing:
1/2 pound goat cheese
2 shallots, chopped
4 Tbsp. Banyuls Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Pineapple Juice
1/2 c. Grapeseed Oil
2 Tbsp. Chives, finely chopped
1 tsp. Fresh Thyme
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste

Beet salad:
6 –8 medium-size Red and Yellow Beets, rinsed scrubbed, skin on
3-4 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 1/2 c. loosely packed Baby Arugula
1/2 c. Microgreens
1/2 c. Chervil
4 ounces high quality goat cheese
2-3 Tbsp. Truffle Oil

Method:

For the Dressing:
Combine goat cheese, shallots, pineapple juice, and vinegar in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Slowly add the oil until emulsified. Add the thyme and chives and pulse for a few seconds until the herbs are incorporated in the dressing. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper, transfer to a non-reactive container and refrigerate until service. This dressing can be held up for up to 3 days in the fridge, provided that the temperature in the fridge is below 40 degrees.

For the Salad:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub the beets with the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Loosely wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove foil and cool completely. Peel and julienne. Divide and arange the beets among four plates. Spoon goat cheese dressing over beets. Combine all of the greens in a mixing bowl, drizzle with the truffle oil, and lightly toss. Season to taste with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Place greens on or beside the beets. Crumble the goat cheese over the salads and drizzle the goat cheese dressing on and around the plate.

*You can also add toasted pine or macadamia nuts, dried cherries, pineapple, or cranberries, and/or fresh deep fried crispy sweet/purple/yukon gold potato chips/gaufrettes to this dish as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom