ISO Gravy for new potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peel and Boil potatoes...If large you can quarter them. When the potatoes are done make a blonde roux (flour & butter) Cook for just a couple of minutes so the flour want taste raw. Remove the potatoes from the water and sitr the roux into the liquid. Add milk. Keep adding roux and milk to desired consistency. If too thick, add milk. To thin, add roux.... Add potatoes back in. Adjust seasoning. I like this kinda salty with lots of black pepper served with corn bread!!

Hope this helps!!

Enjoy!

I really don't measure this. I just melt some butter..maybe 2 Tbls...Then add some flour...maybe 2 Tbls. again. Cook it for a few minutes, Then use it to thicken the potato broth and milk. If it's not thick enough for your taste, add more flour/butter.

For 2 cups of liquid, I usually use 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour. Melt butter, stir in flour and cook, constantly stirring, until the butter and flour are incorporated. Add liquid gradually, stirring constantly, until all liquid is added. Now, continue stirring with a whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. That's when you will have the full thickness of your mixture.

Thank you, thank you, Uncle Bob! I have never made white gravy because I don't like gravy and no one in the house has requested it. But recently, some of the kids said they'd like it with chicken fried steak. So I'm really excited to have caught this thread.

For 2 cups of liquid, I usually use 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour. Melt butter, stir in flour and cook, constantly stirring, until the butter and flour are incorporated. Add liquid gradually, stirring constantly, until all liquid is added. Now, continue stirring with a whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. That's when you will have the full thickness of your mixture.
Even better, Katie. (You know me well, huh. I'm one who needs the exact measurements or it scares the heck out of me!) Thanks so much for this.

For Chicken fried Steak/Chicken etc. Look for this product. Pioneer Brand. Simple to make and you can "Jazz" it up to make you happy!!

Enjoy!

For Chicken fried Steak/Chicken etc. Look for this product. Pioneer Brand. Simple to make and you can "Jazz" it up to make you happy!!

Enjoy!
For real, Uncle Bob? Can I use this and it wouldn't be a total travesty??? Because if you say it's OK, I'm going for it. A true southern gentleman like yourself would never lead a lady astray when it comes to gravy, right?

For real, Uncle Bob? Can I use this and it wouldn't be a total travesty??? Because if you say it's OK, I'm going for it. A true southern gentleman like yourself would never lead a lady astray when it comes to gravy, right?

I promise you as an Officer & Gentleman you can do this. Three simple steps, and it's good! They also make a Sausage Gravy Mix. Add some fried sausage patties, break them into small pieces, add to the Gravy mix. Serve over hot biscuits. Shake a few drops of Tabasco on and you'll having them shouting with joy!!! :chef:

Only stipulation is...Ya got invite me over!!!;)

This is awesome. I actually make wonderful biscuits (from scratch, even) and I think being able to serve real biscuits and gravy would be great! The Tabasco tip is much appreciated, too. My family adores hot sauces but I would never think to put some in gravy. WooHoo! And you have a standing invitation anytime you wander down this way.

Make your fabulous home made biscuits...break them open...cover with Sausage gravy. Serve the Tabasco/Louisiana hot sauce at the table so everyone can add as much as they like....or none at all. Hot coffee is a must!! Eggs & Grits..optional!!

Have Fun!!!

Thanks for this guideline. I never know how much roux to make up for how much liquid I want to thicken. I never pay attention when following a recipe. This will help. :)

UncleBob; Do you add your roux straight into the liquid? I've never done it quite that way as I would be afraid of creating a lumpy gravy. I have always added liquid to the roux, in small amounts, stirring in each addition of liquid until the roux has become a medium-thick paste. I then add that to the cream, milk, stock, or whatever. This assures me that I will have a silky-smooth gravy or sauce.

Also, when making soups where the solids tend to settle to the bottom, as in split pea soup, or bean soup, make a blonde roux, and add some of the soup broth until a medium paste is formed. Then, add the paste to the remaining soup. This is called "binding" the soup and keeps the solids suspended evenly from top to bottom of the pot. It can even be used in chili (but I wouldn't use it in my chili;)).

Also use the roux as a starter for many gumbos, gravies, Veloute, Bechemel sauce, and small or derivative sauces such as Alfredo Sauce, or Mornay sauce, and for making choux paste for eclairs and puff pastries.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Goodweed of the North said:
UncleBob; Do you add your roux straight into the liquid?

Sometimes yes...Sometimes no...If I am making (chicken) gravy in a skillet then I add liquid to the roux. I control the thickness of the gravy by the volume of liquid that is added to the set amount of roux. In the case of the OP question, where I have a set amount of liquid, I control the thickness by either adding the roux straight to the (small amounts) of liquid to control thickness, or sometimes the "binding" method you mentioned for larger amounts of liquid. At other times, a flour "slurry" added to the pot liquid in small amounts works well to achieve desired thickness. By whichever method... I find a a wire whisk used briskly invaluable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom