ISO greens with smoked turkey recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PytnPlace

Sous Chef
I bought a bag of greens and a smoked turkey leg today. Anyone have a good recipe? I cooked greens only once B4 and was not too pleased with the results of that newbie attempt. Now I ready to try again.
:chef:

Don't know what kind of greens you got. But, if you're looking for a generic greens and smoked meat recipe ... just use any boiled "greens" recipe that uses smoked or salted pork and sub the smoked turkey leg. You'll get the "smokey" flavor with less fat.

some greens are better when blanched first...removes some of the bitterness. However, long cooking will do that too. Cook in chicken broth with garlic, your turkey leg, onion if you like, whatever hot pepper you like, simmer. Taste from time to time. You'll know when it's done.

It was a bag of mixed greens - I can't remember what - I think Kale, collard and maybe mustard. I winged it and it was better then my first attempt. Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions. I have read some about prep but it's so helpful to get suggestions from folks that are familiar with unfamiliar ingredients.

I've made this before using smoked turkey, but usually use a smoked thigh or a couple of smoked wings. The outcome of the dish seems to depend on how salty the smoked turkey is. I've found some brands to be outrageously salty.

Anyway, I buy my greens - approx. 1/2 to 3/4# each of kale, collards, mustard, turnip - whatever's available & looks nice & fresh. I then wash well & remove & discard all heavy stems. The remaining leaves are roughly chopped. I saute an onion in some extra-virgin olive oil until soft but not browned. Sometimes I'll add a chopped clove or 2 of garlic as well. Then in go the greens & I stir them around till everything is slightly coated with the oil. I then add a cup or 2 of chicken broth (Swansons, usually), & my piece of smoked turkey, bring to a simmer, cover, & cook just until the greens are done to the tenderness I want & the smoked meat is heated thru. I then remove the poultry piece, remove the meat, shred or chop it, & return it to the pot & serve.

I don't like to stew greens (even collards) for the long amount of time most recipes call for. If they're fresh & not overgrown, they won't be tough or bitter with a shorter (& more nutritious) cooking time.

PytnPlace said:
I bought a bag of greens and a smoked turkey leg today. Anyone have a good recipe? I cooked greens only once B4 and was not too pleased with the results of that newbie attempt. Now I ready to try again.
:chef:

This is probably too late, but here's for next time!

I prefer turnip greens over mustard or collards. Kale I buy for my lovebird to eat. :)

I've prepared fresh turnip greens using smoked turkey wings or a smoked turkey leg in place of a smoked ham hock. Carefully wash the greens to get out any sand. Roughly chop the greens. Cover well with water or chicken stock or broth. Use a heavy hand with pepper and add a couple of tablespoonfuls of white vinegar or lemon juice to the pot. Simmer for at least an hour until the greens are cooked down. Meanwhile, bake a pan of cornbread to serve with the greens. Dunk the cornbread in the "pot likker". Make sure there is some Louisiana hot sauce to splash into that serving of greens. YUM!:chef:

Fraidy

Back
Top Bottom