ISO ideas for using whole canned potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they're usually loaded with sodium, so for those on sodium restricted diets, be careful.

also, i wouldn't sub canned spuds for fresh if you can avoid it at all. not to disparage them, but fresh spuds are so easy to come by, and much better for you.

thank you for some good ideas for the potatoes, patty1, and for the encouraging words. i like the idea of combining the pots. with other veggies, home fries for sure. maybe even give the pot. salad a go....:)

taxlady: corned beef hash with the canned potatoes should be a winner! thank you for your help....:)

Last edited:
buckytom said:
they're usually loaded with sodium, so for those on sodium restricted diets, be careful.

also, i wouldn't sub canned spuds for fresh if you can avoid it at all. not to disparage them, but fresh spuds are so easy to come by, and much better for you.

Aunt Bea rinses hers in boiling water, that would help with the sodium. Do they have low sodium canned spuds now, like lo so canned beans?

aunt bea's on the ball.

i'll have to look for lower sodium versions. we always have a can of potatoes around, for the rare occasion this son of an irishmen would disappoint his father and have none on hand, as it were.

home fries, italian hot dogs, baked with onions and kraut and kielbasi, sausages and chicken murphy, pea soup, ... more ideas to come.

LoVe the sauerkraut, onions and kielbasi tip! had to look up chicken murphy, bt--to me, that one looks better with pasta....the names of your dishes often have me running to google for descriptions and/or definitions....:LOL:

thanks for your suggestions, bt.:)

Brown a pound of ground beef, mushrooms and onions. Add a can of CofM soup, a can of potatoes diced and some frozen or canned corn and peas. Heat through and enjoy.

thanks, andy, i will definitely make this (my own superior) hamburger helper!! and with some shelled edamame, it's gonna soar!!:yum::)

You can put them in with canned green beans, use in soups or stews, chop and add to corned beef for hash...use with anything that will share it's flavor with the potatoes.

I used to buy those potatoes when the kids were small. I used them for home fries, and to make a really quick corn chowder. Now I boil up a few potatoes, with the skin on and keep them in the fridge. Grab one when I need it for home fires. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom