ISO ideas for using whole canned potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
in most instances i avoid canned vegetables in favor of fresh, frozen and dried foods. but there is something about those cute, round little canned potatoes that appeals to me. something tugs at me, a nostalgic canned potato memory, a dim craving of sorts....does anyone perchance still elect to use these adorable little potatoes in recipes even when fresh potatoes are abundantly available? please share. i'm thinking i may be alone on this oddly whimsical quest, but....??:)

I keep a few cans of them on the shelf because I no longer eat enough fresh potatoes to bother buying a 5 or 10 pound bag.

A nice ta-dah recipe for two people on a snowy night is Cheese Potatoes.

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling. Great with a ham steak.

You can also make this as a stove top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but, I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh them with the boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

I've used them in CP beef stew when I didn't have fresh.

Brown a pound of ground beef, mushrooms and onions. Add a can of CofM soup, a can of potatoes diced and some frozen or canned corn and peas. Heat through and enjoy.

If I ever see organic canned potatoes, I might well buy them.

When I did buy them, they were often used for potato salad or home fries.

I keep a few cans of them on the shelf because I no longer eat enough fresh potatoes to bother buying a 5 or 10 pound bag.

A nice ta-dah recipe for two people on a snowy night is Cheese Potatoes.

Rinse one can of whole potatoes in boiling water and pat dry.

Make a cream sauce using:

1 T butter
1 T flour
1 1/4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A good dash of cayenne pepper
6 slices of American processed cheese chopped in small dice. (do not use cheese food)

Bake in a small casserole at 325 or 350 for about 45 minutes until the top is brown and it is bubbling. Great with a ham steak.

You can also make this as a stove top item by adding the drained potatoes to the cream sauce and heating but, I think the time in the oven improves it.

It is very important, for me, to refresh them with the boiling water. I think it removes the tinny canned taste.

yess! your creamed potatoes refreshes warm recollections of these tasty little spuds-in-a-can, bea. thanks!

something makes me think that tinny canned taste may be part of the appeal for me. i will use your boiling method though, as that slightly metallic flavor probably lingers anyway....:)

oftentimes i buy my potatoes loose--redskin, russet and yukon type, a pound or two, mixed--a couple of dollars worth at a time....

i'm thinking my aunt or somebody circled a freestyle meatloaf with these little round potatoes, too, oven roasting them in the fat and the meat drippings....i can still remember how they looked--all shiny golden and brown--but not how they tasted, hmm....

If I ever see organic canned potatoes, I might well buy them.

When I did buy them, they were often used for potato salad or home fries.

oh, i will definitely do the home fries--thanks! don't know about potato salad though. i think they may be too soft for that....

My grandmother used to take those little potatoes, make a cheese sauce (I suspect she used Chez Whiz or another one of those processed products), layer the potatoes in a pyrex dish, dump the sauce on, and bake for about 20 minutes. Oh, I loved that dish as a child!

home fries, italian hot dogs, baked with onions and kraut and kielbasi, sausages and chicken murphy, pea soup, ... more ideas to come.

Sort of like Aunt Bea's recipe but a bit different. Cut up in bite size pieces, toss with onions, garlic, parsley, stir in some sour cream, place in oven proof dish and top with cheese and bread crumbs and bake unti bubbly and top is golden brown....

Last edited:
Sort of like Aunt Bea's recipe but a bit different. Cut up in bite size pieces, toss with onions, garlic, parsley, stir in some sour cream, place in oven proof dish and top with cheese and bread crumbs and bake unti bubbly and top is golden brown....

That sounds like a great way to use up the french onion dip from NYE! :yum:

and fanny's your aunt. lol.

it's a british expression meaning "and there you have it".

Last edited:
Since I also usually cook for 1, I keep a few cans around. They are good to add to soups and stews. What is good about adding them to dishes that you are going to freeze, they seem to hold up better then fresh.

Vit- I have never done it before, but I think they would be good for Potato Salad. They would hold up nicely and not suck up your dressing.

I really like them for when I am having a nice dinner, like Rib Roast. I mix them with Green Beans, season and cook them a little. That takes care of your starch and green veggie. I make Honey Glazed Carrots, Salad and French Bread.

They fry up nicely for Home Fries. I know someone who used them for Scalloped Potatoes. Their uses are endless. Enjoy!!:chef:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom