ISO Kohlrabi Recipe Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
One of our neighbors gave us some kohlrabi from their garden. I don't have a lot of experience with this vegetable. My mom used to just cube it and steam it. The few times I've made it, I did the same thing. I also tried it one time in a curry, on someone's recommendation. It was okay.

Does anyone have a good "off the beaten path" recipe for kohlrabi? Or maybe just some ideas?

kohlrabi is one of my favs steve but,like you,only ever had it boiled,steamed,mashed or roasted.i think it's one of those "if it ain't broken don't fix it moments"...maybe at it's best plain & simple.oh,by the way,cooked the spaghetti squash tonight....loved it:yum:!

Last edited:
Steve, I've only eaten it raw, cut into sticks, and served them on a vegetable platter of raw vegetables. I love how crunchy it is. That's how we've had it since we were kids.

Kohlrabii is one of my favorite veggies. I love it raw (sliced) with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, EVOO, and vinegar. The other thing I do is make it into a slaw. Here's a recipe that I like as well. I've never cooked it--been meaning to do that, but it never makes it that far--I just love it raw. I grow the purple variety. The leaves are edible as well--those I've steamed.

Recipe Details

Well, peel them first and get out a heavy duty sharp knife. Kohlrabi is one of my favorite summer vegetables.

You can cut them up french fry style, toss with evoo and salt and roast in a single layer, turn them over at least once. They brown up nicely but didn't seem to crisp up like potato fries. Maybe I was impatient and took them from the oven too soon.

Make "summer pickles" like cukes. Slice thin, put in a sweet sour vinegar solution with a few spices / herbs. I like hot chili, diced, coriandar seed, garlic, celery seed, whatever you like. Refrigerate overnight.

Matchstick and put in cole slaw.

Cook like turnips and mash with butter, S & P. An incredible waste, but it can be done, for those who like turnips.

My favorite way is to simply thin slice or make sticks and serve with a little sea salt and a few grains of chili pepper. These are a nice addition to a veggie tray.

I love spaghetti squash. We have it all the time. My favorite way to make it is with butter, s & p. Plain and simple. It's also good tossed with evoo, chopped tomatoes, and basil.
i hope they keep stocking it steve.ever notice how,supermarkets in particular,stock something,sell out,you ask when they'll get some more in & they say"we won't be,there's no demand.........:ermm::wacko:!"?
never had kohlrabi raw,must give it a go

i hope they keep stocking it steve.ever notice how,supermarkets in particular,stock something,sell out,you ask when they'll get some more in & they say"we won't be,there's no demand.........:ermm::wacko:!"?
never had kohlrabi raw,must give it a go
Slice it really thin or julienne it, sea salt, EVOO, pepper, a bit of your favorite vinegar--with a G&T--can't go wrong.

now that DOES sound like a plan,cheers CW:yum:!
That's how I was introduced to it raw by a dear, dear man who had a cottage next to my parents' cottage and would host cocktail hour every Friday during the summer. He had the most amazing green thumb (and made really good G&Ts! and pickled fish). Sadly, he died too young at 65 of a heart attack.

That's how I was introduced to it raw by a dear, dear man who had a cottage next to my parents' cottage and would host cocktail hour every Friday during the summer. He had the most amazing green thumb (and made really good G&Ts! and pickled fish). Sadly, he died too young at 65 of a heart attack.
hmmmmm,neighbours like that are hard to find particularly ones who share a passion for food,gardening & g&t's.65 is young...sad.oy vey only 5 years to go....better try the raw kohlrabi/g&t quick:)!!

Kewl looking sputnik-like vegetable. A couple of ideas I encountered (from Serious Eats, etc.):

Kohlrabi slaw w/ bacon & apples

Kohlrabi remoulade

Kohlrabi pancakes

Huh, I didn't know kohlrabi was good cooked! I've only eaten it raw (which I love!). It has kind of a mild radishy flavor. Do people cook radishes too?? If you cut the green skin off the outside of a broccoli stem, the inner white part kind of tastes like kohlrabi too. My mom used to cut up broccoli sticks for us all the time to use up the stems

Depending on the growing conditions, I've rarely had to peel the kohlrabi that we grow. We do pick ours when they are about 2 inches diameter. And yes, people cook radishes--PF posted a roasted radish recipe a couple of weeks ago. I love radish soup. And, I often add radish to stir fries. Here's a radish recipe I keep meaning to try...maybe with the radishes that will be ready late August.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=4962

We pull our radishes after 25-30 days and replant. Otherwise, they get woody.

Last edited:
CWS-- The kohlrabi's I have seen at the farmers markets and in the produce sections at whole food/ co-ops this year all have been Huge. I too like them smaller as they seem more tender and I think they get woody with age. So I haven't bought any yet this year, still hoping to find some smaller ones. I was Surprised how early they started appearing at the markets. One must be able to plant them very early. I remember planting them some years ago from seed, but I don't remember how long until we harvested them. I should get one, ( I think they come in 3's ) at the farmer's market this saturday and stop drooling. Kohlrabis to me, are a Summer Treat. I suppose next I'll be seeing them along-side Asparagus in December. Somehow, I still can't wrap my brain around fresh asparagus as a Christmas or Winter vegetable. But then again, I chuckled to myself that I was able to Grill outdoors every month last winter. So, here's to Kohlrabi in July and maybe again after the snow flies.

I don't know how well or how long they store once picked.

Steve-- how did you like the kohlrabi your neighbor gave you the other day?

CWS-- The kohlrabi's I have seen at the farmers markets and in the produce sections at whole food/ co-ops this year all have been Huge. I too like them smaller as they seem more tender and I think they get woody with age. So I haven't bought any yet this year, still hoping to find some smaller ones. I was Surprised how early they started appearing at the markets. One must be able to plant them very early. I remember planting them some years ago from seed, but I don't remember how long until we harvested them. I should get one, ( I think they come in 3's ) at the farmer's market this saturday and stop drooling. Kohlrabis to me, are a Summer Treat. I suppose next I'll be seeing them along-side Asparagus in December. Somehow, I still can't wrap my brain around fresh asparagus as a Christmas or Winter vegetable. But then again, I chuckled to myself that I was able to Grill outdoors every month last winter. So, here's to Kohlrabi in July and maybe again after the snow flies.

I don't know how well or how long they store once picked.

Kohlrabi goes in early but it only needs 52-60 days. Ours are late because of the drought.

They were good. What I ended up doing was slicing them into disks, then dipped in flour, egg, and panko. I then fried them in oil until they were cooked through. Sort of a fritter thing I guess.

I hadn't seen any recipes like that, so maybe I'm onto something new here.

Back
Top Bottom