ISO pickled green bean REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i saw these in the organic foods aisle for, i kid you not, $6.59 for like a 6-oz. jar.
i said, 'i can do that.'
so i read the ingredients and they are none other than green beans, vinegar, spices, sugar, and a jar.
any tips?
i figure i'll just treat them like basic pickles and lop the ends off with a knife so they can absorb the solution.
think i'm on the right track?:ermm:

luvs, I canned pickled beans last year and they were good. you can add some hot pepper flakes if you like them a little hot too. I added garlic, dill, and pepper flakes. Can't believe they are so high in the stores.

i bought a few big handfuls of green beans and a bottle of vinegar. it's on! pickled beans can't be THAT hard, huh?:rolleyes: :LOL:

I found this recipe for you that gives you a basic rule. Savory is known as the "bean herb", and I've grown it in my garden. It's quite fragrant. You could substitute marjoram or dill.
Personally, I'd have to add a clove or two of garlic to each jar.

PICKLED GREEN BEANS WITH SAVORY
Serving Size : 6

3 lb Green beans
12 3-inch sprigs fresh summer Savory
1 qt White wine vinegar
1 qt Water
1/4 c Pickling salt
1 tbl Sugar

Wash and dry the beans. Remove ends and trim to fit
vertically in jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Prepare the jars, lids and boiling water bath. Fill
each dry clean jar with beans and two sprigs of savory.

In a non-reactive pan, combine the vinegar, water,
salt and sugar. Bring to boil over med-high heat,
stirring occasionally. Pour the hot liquid into the
jars, just covering the beans. Wipe the rims with a
clean towel and attach lids securely.

Place jars in boiling water bath, and when water
returns to boil, process for 15 mins.

i made the beans, guys. thanks for the recipe, constance; it gave me some pointers. i kind of just eyeballed it. i threw in some garlic cloves.

i tried a few last night, and they were already nice and salt-and-vinegary, but the garlic flavor wasn't pronounced at all. not yet.
they were delicious, but might i say, 'heartburn in a jar'?

I am probably coming in on this way late, but don't forget bread 'n butter green beans also, and toss a couple of spears of canned pineapple in with them. Excellent chilled and served with cold fried chicken, deep fryed turkey legs, ham slices from the grill....

Oooh, yum! I love bread and butter pickles anyway...can just imagine the combo of the beans with the pineapple in that sweet sour solution.

Back
Top Bottom