ISO recipe for fried green tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fried green tomatoes Dairy
6-8 green tomatoes sliced
.3/4 cup bread crumbs
.1/4 cup corn meal
.1/2 tsp salt
.1/4 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 Quart home made tomato sauce or store bought
1-2 cups part skims mozzarella
.1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Core the tomatoes and slice about .1/3 inch thick. Set aside. In a bowl mix the bread crumbs, corn meal and salt and pepper together In a large Cast iron skillet #8 or # 10 size. Heat about .1/2 cup of oil
Press tomato slices into the crumb mixture to thoroughly coat both sides. Fry in the oil till golden brown, turning ounce. Drain on paper towels. Continue until all the tomatoes are cooked. Adding more oil to the skillet as needed .Pour enough tomato sauce in a casserole dish to coat the bottom.
Place the tomato slices in the dish and top with some of the sauce
And then mozzarella. Layer with tomatoes sauce and mozzarella cheese ending with the sauce top with parmesan cheese and bake in a 350*F until brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. You can add cayenn pepper to spice it up, or any other spice/herb you like.
Oh I'm gonna be making this, sounds delish

Absolutely love fried tomatoes.
I like mine ripened between green and red, sliced about 3/8" thick. 1st dipped into seasoned flour with a bit of sugar added, then into egg beaten with a little milk, then into corn meal seasoned with a bit of Old Bay. Slices are then layed onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and put into the fridge to firm up. I fry them in a cast iron skillet with corn oil till lightly browned on both sides, then drain on brown paper bags.
Love to use them as a base and top them with a fried soft shell crab:)

I have tried several different recipes. I'm not crazy about the battered type where you use egg or milk. Or at least I have not found one yet that I like. I like for my coating to be more part of the tomato than something that encases it.

Anyhow, I usually mix flour, cornmeal, cayenne, salt. Then my mom taught me to sprinkle just a bit of sugar on them before putting in the pan to help them brown quicker. S&P while frying.

On occasion, I will mix equal parts of sour cream and garlic chili sauce to have with them. But not always.

I have tried several different recipes. I'm not crazy about the battered type where you use egg or milk. Or at least I have not found one yet that I like. I like for my coating to be more part of the tomato than something that encases it.

Anyhow, I usually use mix flour, cornmeal, cayenne, salt. Then my mom taught me to sprinkle just a bit of sugar on them before putting in the pan to help them brown quicker. S&P while frying.

On occasion, I will mix equal parts of sour cream and garlic chili sauce to have with them. But not always.

Yeah Buddy....I'd eat your maters any time!!!!:chef:

I dip mine in egg and then dredge in equal parts of cornmeal mix and plain bread crumbs with some salt and pepper.

Kitchen Elf, that recipe was fantastic! My SIL who hates zucchini decided to take one of mine home with her because she liked it so much.

I used K.E.'s recipe with Katie's cooking instructions. Thanks Katie E. And I'll get to the rest of these recipes soon too, they look so good!

Glad they turned out. I'm confused though - maybe I didn't read all the posts - did you fry green tomatoes or zucchini?

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that I cooked both in the same batter. I used all the green tomatoes my child picked and threw, and a couple of zucchini from my garden. I just assumed you could read my mind! :LOL:

I have whole bunch of green tomatoes in my garden, I guess I am just going to have to give it a try to one of this recipes.

Back
Top Bottom