ISO Rutabaga Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put them in my veggie soups once in awhile and I think you can roast them but... I don't have any other ideas. Good luck!!

I watched that 'impossible kitchen' show on food network, and he made as a side dish, a mashed rutabaga and carrot dish. I tried it at home and it was very good. Not sure of the amounts, but i make it a 50/ 50 rutabaga to carrot ratio. Boil them until they are soft enough to mash. Drain from the water. While still hot, add some butter , cream, salt, pepper and a little sugar ( i like it a little sweet, but if the carrots are sweet, u can omit this), and mash away until u get the consistency u like. I like mine a little chunky. Its a nice looking dish also, with the yellow/ orange mix. Ill be making it and bringing it to my moms house for thanksgiving next week.

I steam or boil til tender, rice them, mash then add butter, salt and pepper. I don't want anything else interfering with the delicious flavor of this vegetable dish. Rutabagas also essential in making pasties. At least for this family.

I steam or boil til tender, rice them, mash then add butter, salt and pepper. I don't want anything else interfering with the delicious flavor of this vegetable dish. Rutabagas also essential in making pasties. At least for this family.

You make pasties in Vegas? I'm proud of you, girl. But rutabegas added to potato soup is wonderful. You can also put them in boiled dinner, beef stew, or simply mash, add a bit of salt and pepper, and some brown sugar. In the raw state, they can be grated and put in slaw, or sliced and boiled like beets. Add a bit of sugar and vinager, and maybe a touch of cloves. It's all good.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Believe it or not, a restaurant once served them raw - cut into sticks - as part of a crudite platter with a dip. They were delicious, & we had to ask to have them identified.

:) Heard of rutabaga but have no clue what it is or what it tastes like. Is it a root vegetable or what, what dos it taste like? Oh and I do not like parsnips maybe it's an acquired taste.

jp, most of my family called this "turnip", most of my life. It's orange on the inside.

Lee

rutabaga.jpg

jp, most of my family called this "turnip", most of my life. It's orange on the inside.

Lee

rutabaga.jpg

If memory serves me correctly, this root veggie was developed in Germany. I do know it's a cross between a turnip and cabbage. And I do know that I love 'em.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

QSis, we always called that a turnip too. Wonder if it's a regional thing although I do remember my mother saying something about it not really being a turnip.

Why are rutabagas you find in the grocery store these days usually dipped in wax?

I don't remember them being waxed when I was a kid ... ok - that might have been 3 days after dirt was created ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom