ISO: something to do with a bunch of Green Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArticKatt

Cook
I have just harvested the last (or what I figure are the last) of my green peppers and want to do something with them. My family likes to eat them raw but they cant eat them all and I was thinking I would love to find something to do with them that can be done in the Slow Cooker but am open to just about anything. No meat other then chicken though. and then I would prefer no meat at all. I looked at stuffed but these are not that big and I have no idea if they would stuff well if you have any suggestions at all please help.

Thanks so much Artickatt

Even if they're small, you can successfully stuff them.

You can saute them with onions and mushrooms for a veggie side dish.

You can roast them. You can pickle them.

I seem to have the same problem every year and have found that peppers freeze well if you core, seed and chop them. I freeze them cut in various shapes and sized (slices, large chunks, diced) and then have them to use throughout the winter in chili, stews or stir fry. They're too soft to eat raw, but when thrown into a recipe frozen (no need to thaw first), you can't tell the difference.

I do the same with onion, too.

Like Andy mentioned, roasting peppers is a great idea. You can then put them into jar with olive oil and use whenever (make sure it seals properly). I think they would freeze well if you chop them up. Sausage and peppers, onions, are good on a sub roll ( you can buy chicken sausage). Also, peppers are great in western (denver) omelets.

I have an Italian friend who roasts them, then puts them in olive oil with garlic and anchovies. They sure are good.

Here's her recipe for stuffed peppers:

Italian Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:
6 large bell peppers
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 small can sliced olives, drained & chopped
1/2 ripe tomato, chopped
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 lb. Genoa salami, chopped fine
1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or provolone)
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation

Cut a small circle at the top of each pepper around the stem (keep the stems with each pepper so you can use them as plugs after filling). Clean and rinse the inside of the peppers. Combine the remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) in a large bowl and blend well. Stuff the peppers with the filling. Put the tops in place. In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and heat until hot. Place peppers in the hot oil and cook until brown on bottom and sides (about 30 seconds per side). When browned all over, cover pan, turn heat to low and cook until tender-about 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

you can make a fine caciatore with or without chicken with peppers and onions, tomato sauce, rosemary basil, a little hot chili flake, very nice over pasta or baked ala lasagna.

stuffing with chicken and rice, stuffing with cheese mushrooms and breading, stuffing with a chicken chili bean mixture. baking with a tomato sauce.

You can stuff them w a small tubetti pasta (along the lines of mac n cheese), orzo, couscous salad, or wild rice and pecans. I have a recipe I saved for years from a magazine that looks so pretty - various colors of stuffed peppers and stuffed tomatoes. If you like, I'll look up my recipe for Tomatoes Fontina. Another thought is to stuff the peppers with chicken or seafood salad or a roasted pepper/veggie soup. I'll go to my pepper files & see what else I can come up with that doesn't contain meat. Give me a wave on the stuffed tomatoes. Lentils are another thought. Here's one with meat and cheese, but you could try tubetti in tomato sauce, herbs and mozzarella.

199_image1.jpg

Last edited:
Spicy stuffed peppers

By The Canadian Press

0906_stuffedpeppers-01.jpg
invisible.gif

Serves 4.
Source: Rosenborg Bellablu.

What a tempting recipe is this for blue cheese stuffed red peppers. The recipe developer suggests using the long, pointed Spanish peppers but ordinary red bell peppers may also be an option.

Ingredients
  • 2 red peppers
  • 15 to 30 ml (1 to 2 tbsp) oil
  • 30 ml (2 tbsp) pine nuts
  • 2 spring onions, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely diced
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) rice
  • 1 large or 2 small chilis, diced
  • 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) cherry tomatoes, chopped
  • Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
  • 125 grams (4.5 ounces) blue cheese
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 ripe avocado pear and 60 ml (4 tbsp) sour cream
Instructions
  • Make filling by heating oil in a pan and sauting onions, garlic and pine nuts for 5 minutes until nuts just start to brown. Stir in rice and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes stirring all the while. Stir in the stock and chilis and cook over a low heat until rice is cooked through, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
  • When rice is just cooked, stir in tomatoes, herbs and 100 g (3.5 oz) of the cheese. Season to taste.
  • Slice peppers in half lengthwise, keeping stalk intact if possible. Discard pips and any inner stalk. Fill each half with the rice and cheese mixture, place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Mix together the remaining cheese and sour cream then chill.
  • Serve with sliced avocado pear topped with the sour cream.

How about a dip? - Cream cheese, olives, diced roasted red peppers, onions/chives, etc.

pepper_stuffed.jpg

ROASTED BELL PEPPERS!!

I personally prefer red or yellow peppers but this works just fine with any colour of bell peppers... wonderful appetizer or vegetable side, or delicious over a toasted bread (crostini)!

wash the peppers, arrange them on a baking tray and bake them in the oven at 180C / 350F for about 40 min. turning them over at the halfway point. (don't worry if they seem to be getting burnt)
Let it cool down a little to the point you can handle them without scalding your fingers. Peel off the outer skin, and remove the tops and the seeds inside. Strip them into several pieces.
Sprinkle with whole capers (rinse off the salt on the outside well), pine nuts, and/or roasted minced garlic. Drizzle a good quality evoo over.
Let it rest for at least for couple of hours, so the flavours can blend better.
Serve at either room temperature or chilled.

Also if you have REALLY lots of bell pepper to roast, here is another delicious solution...

Creamed roasted bell pepper sauce

Put the stripped roast bell peppers and sauteed onion and garlic(about half the amount of bell peppers) in a blender, mix with enough evoo to make a smooth composition, season with a little curry, coriander (if you have some fresh cilantro that's great!), cayenne pepper, ground cardamom and salt, and give another whip to let everything blend in.
Just add the spices little by little and get it to the taste to your liking...
This is a delicious and versatile condiment to pasta, couscous or grilled meat or veggies, on top of crostini, or you can use them just as you fancy... keeps in a fridge (store in a glass jar with some evoo lined on top) for a couple of weeks, also freezes very well!!

Buon Appetito:chef:

Just stuff them with your favorite meatloaf recipe.

Better yet....buy enough steak to go with all those peppers....and have steak every night with grilled onions and peppers on it! lol

mish said:
You can stuff them w a small tubetti pasta (along the lines of mac n cheese), orzo, couscous salad, or wild rice and pecans. I have a recipe I saved for years from a magazine that looks so pretty - various colors of stuffed peppers and stuffed tomatoes. If you like, I'll look up my recipe for Tomatoes Fontina. Another thought is to stuff the peppers with chicken or seafood salad or a roasted pepper/veggie soup. I'll go to my pepper files & see what else I can come up with that doesn't contain meat. Give me a wave on the stuffed tomatoes. Lentils are another thought. Here's one with meat and cheese, but you could try tubetti in tomato sauce, herbs and mozzarella.

199_image1.jpg
Oh this looks really good. Le ntils are out as one of the people who would be eatting them is allergic to lentils. I am allergic to peppers. I grow the long pointed ones as well as small bell peppers. All these recipes are great. I will look them all over and I might have to ask them to pick one. LOL after all I wont be eatting them.

I had alot of peppers this and I chopped and froze them. I ended up with 12 pints. I use them in chili, soups and egg dishes and many other recipes.Peppers are high in the grocery store so I'm glad to have them.

Just call me a broken record (but don't call me late for dinner ...)

But storing even roasted peppers and garlic in oil can be dangerous because of the risk of botulism.

Here's what the CDC says: "Persons who prepare roasted vegetables in oil at home should be aware that this practice may be hazardous, especially if such foods are allowed to remain above refrigerator temperature (generally greater than 39 F"

So refrigerate the peppers in oil and use them up within 2 weeks or so. Do not use oil as a long term storage medium for any fresh vegetable or herb.

Or freeze it.

Or properly acidify it.

Thank You. And now on to your regular programming ....

Jenny my suggested storing method was to keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks with an added oil on top to seal the surface, and for a longer term storage freeze them. Also you may note that in my recipe oil was not cooked with the pepper, just added raw after they were cooked.

Probably you will watch out for me because of my mistake in the oven temperature in another thread, I just confused °C and °F and got them backwards. I will be more careful when I type but don't worry I am not a dangerous cook!!:rolleyes:

You know the whole 180-350 thing was, in retrospect, obviously just a typo because the F number was lower than the C number.

So I know that you aren't dangerous but like me, probably think faster than you type! :)

Still, some people think you can cook at really low heat. Like the overnight turkey thing :sick: or meat at 150. That, my friends, will more than likely make you very sick.

I do have to disagree with you just a bit -- the "couple of weeks" may be a stretch, as the CDC, USDA says 7-10 days. I never go beyond 14 days. The oil which seals the surface is actually what causes botulism to grow -- the buggers need an anerobic environment.

jennyema said:
I do have to disagree with you just a bit -- the "couple of weeks" may be a stretch, as the CDC, USDA says 7-10 days. I never go beyond 14 days. The oil which seals the surface is actually what causes botulism to grow -- the buggers need an anerobic environment.

Well Jenny... (stepping back from any danger in a battlefield...) I think you need to argue with the Italian tradition... I am not yet an expert in it so I can't defend them properly, but that is the common practice here and as far as I know no one got sick from it... and anyway they do end up getting consumed before 2 weeks most of the time as there are plenty of use for it...

Some of the more infamous outbreaks of boutlism have been in Italy! And though reported cases of botulism in both the US and Italy are rare, there are more than twice as many cases reported annually in Italy than in the US -- almost all from improperly canned or preserved foods.

Thing is ... ecoli and salmonella and bacillus will make you sick as a dog but normal, healthy people generally don't die from them. Botulism, on the other hand, can leave you blind/paralyzed/vegatative if it doesn't kill you.

As GB and Andy M. know from other circumstances, I harp on this all the time. I am not sure why ... but eveyone has their own little mission in life!:)

Edited to add that I adore Italy and would prefer to live and eat there to just about any place on earth!!

Last edited:
Jen

Because of your bringing this to light, I was able to convince my sister to toss out the garlic infused oil she had in the fridge for way too long. I'll bet she hasn't made it again since our conversation.

Back
Top Bottom