ISO TNT Bread & Butter Pickles Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have cucumbers cumming in very strong from teh garden right now, and so am looking for a bread & butter pickle recipe that gives crisp, and delightful pickle slices. Also, if anyone has a great recipe for making relish that uses cukes and zuchini/yellow summer squash, that would be great as well.

Maybe a sweet pickle recipe would come in handy too.

Thanks in advance; Chief Longwind of the North

I have cucumbers cumming in very strong from teh garden right now, and so am looking for a bread & butter pickle recipe that gives crisp, and delightful pickle slices. Also, if anyone has a great recipe for making relish that uses cukes and zuchini/yellow summer squash, that would be great as well.

Maybe a sweet pickle recipe would come in handy too.

Thanks in advance; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, I make these for my son, he loves them they are easy and good.Crisp depends on how fast you eat them:LOL:
In a small sauce pan put 1-1/2 cups white vinegar,3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 tea. salt, 1/2 teas. each of mustard,celery,turmeric, and dill weed, red pepper flakes if so inclined. I don't bother with them. add 4 cloves crushed garlic Bring to boil and cook 1 min. Now pour this over cucumber and onion mix 6 cups thin sliced cucumbers,and 2 cups thin sliced sweet onions, alternate 3 cups cucumber then 2 of the onions top with rest of the cucumbers and onions. these will stay fine for at least a month in the refrigerator.These are low in sodium and I taste the vinegar and sugar mix if to sweet reduce amount of sugar next time or add it little by little to get the amount you like.
kades

Sounds good Ma!

I love b&b pickles as well.

I like to slice cukes and onion very thinly with a mandolin or FP, sprinkle with salt, and let them sit for awhile. Then rinse very well and drain. My brine varies, this last time I used agave nectar, along with rice vinegar, mustard seed and celery seed. I taste and add till it's what I want. Heat brine up, cool, pour over the cukes. At Frank Z's rec, I added a finely diced jalapeno. Turned out quite nice!

This is my BF from HS' granny's recipe (JoJo's Granny's B&B Pickles)

Bearing in mind this was a grandma's recipe, the measurements are a bit iffy:

8 qts cucumbers, thinly sliced (I use the FB) (I usually have 15-18 cups)
6-8 medium onions, peeled and sliced thinly (depends on how many onions are the right size in the garden)
2 green peppers, chopped (I like mine to be about 1/4" squares)
a head of garlic (or not) chopped
1/4 c coarse salt
about 4-5 c ice

Put all of the above in one of those large Tupperware cake carriers. Cover with ice cubes, and salt. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day, combine 5 c cider vinegar (or white), 4-5 c sugar (adjust to taste), 1T mustard seeds, 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp celery seed, 1/2 stick cinnamon in a pan--bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Drain cucumbers. Add to pan. Bring mixture almost back to a boil. Pack in sterilized jars, process in open water bath for 10 minutes. I like more bite than sweet. You can reduce the vinegar to 3:5, or reduce the sugar so you have 5:3.

Last edited:
There is a recipe in mu Ukranian recipe thread. It is simple and good. Crispiness really depends on cucumbers. Some are just not good for pickling. I had this problem last year, I got cucumbers form two different suppliers and onse were great and the other ones I had to throw away.

There is a recipe in mu Ukranian recipe thread. It is simple and good. Crispiness really depends on cucumbers. Some are just not good for pickling. I had this problem last year, I got cucumbers form two different suppliers and onse were great and the other ones I had to throw away.
I find icing the cukes overnight helps. I was addicted to my friend's B&B pickles--she'd bring me little jars of them...I'm still addicted to them!

Back
Top Bottom