It's Spring! Time for corn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lesson Learned

Whenever I buy corn, I make sure I use it that day, next day, tops. Well, bought two ears a week ago Friday. :ohmy:. When I buy corn, I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear. I'm sure you know milky juice means the sugars are converting to starch and the corn won't be as good. Thought I might be able to salvage them as esquites or something. Checked one of those cobs on Sunday? Yup, thick as library paste.

Two dead ears of corn into the trash. :(

Whenever I buy corn, I make sure I use it that day, next day, tops. Well, bought two ears a week ago Friday. :ohmy:. When I buy corn, I always squeeze a kernel to make sure the juice is clear. I'm sure you know milky juice means the sugars are converting to starch and the corn won't be as good. Thought I might be able to salvage them as esquites or something. Checked one of those cobs on Sunday? Yup, thick as library paste.

Two dead ears of corn into the trash. :(
How much sugar depends on the variety of corn. We cook the corn within 5-10 minutes after we pick it for eating. For freezing, we get it in the freezer the same day. We keep the corn on ice in coolers after picking while we are processing it. I only pick as much as I'm going to eat. I don't do day-old corn or leftover corn. The chickens love it, however.

How much sugar depends on the variety of corn. We cook the corn within 5-10 minutes after we pick it for eating. For freezing, we get it in the freezer the same day. We keep the corn on ice in coolers after picking while we are processing it. I only pick as much as I'm going to eat. I don't do day-old corn or leftover corn. The chickens love it, however.

What corn heaven that would be. For the rest of us, we can only imagine.

The local sweet corn growers have signs at the end of their driveways (or a corn trailer in the village). The corn in the trailer is picked first thing in the morning, replenished around 3:00 p.m. when people are heading home from work. For the "farm gate" corn sellers, some farmers walk out to the corn patch and pick the corn while you wait. Often, the kids have a lemonade stand, so the kids get to sell lemonade while an older sibling, mom or dad go get your corn. Or, there is a haywagon at the end of the driveway and an "honor" box for you to leave your money. Technically, I live in Canada's capital city, but I'm in what is called "Rural Ottawa." I prefer staying in Rural Ottawa as much as possible. I hate driving into "Urban Ottawa."

Last night we had our first fresh corn of the season, so maybe it's time to talk about your favorite way with fresh corn.

For teeth issues, we like fresh corn off the cob. Everybody knows I don't bake, but I have an angel food cake pan handed down from my grandmother. My mother taught me to use it for corn, as she didn't bake either. :LOL:
Maybe everybody knows that if you stand the corn on top of the hole and use a very sharp knife to cut off the kernels as close as possible to the cob, all the corn ends up in the pan and not flying all over the kitchen. Then use the dull side of the knife to "milk" the cob. Anyway, I fried the raw corn in butter with fresh basil. :yum:

What's your way with fresh corn?

This is funny. Here they are just starting to plant corn. It won't be ready to harvest until late August at best.

I like mine on the cob, with butter, salt and pepper. It just doesn't taste the same if it's stripped off. Another one of those things that I loved growing up, and still prefer it like I had it back then. We got it straight out of the field from a farmer friend when I was a kid in Wisconsin.

Now we get it from some of the local farmers here. Most of the locally grown corn is not sweet corn, but some of the farmers will still plant a few acres of the good roasting ears.

This is funny. Here they are just starting to plant corn. It won't be ready to harvest until late August at best.

I like mine on the cob, with butter, salt and pepper. It just doesn't taste the same if it's stripped off. Another one of those things that I loved growing up, and still prefer it like I had it back then. We got it straight out of the field from a farmer friend when I was a kid in Wisconsin.

Now we get it from some of the local farmers here. Most of the locally grown corn is not sweet corn, but some of the farmers will still plant a few acres of the good roasting ears.

While I understand your POV, it certainly does taste the same when it's stripped and the bonus is there's nothing stuck between your teeth. :mrgreen:;)

Ohhhhhh I'm so going to make that GG!! The Chew comes on here at noon, and I always watch it eating my lunch.

Now that's my kind of meal to be sure!! All I need us more corn. Thanks!

Spam chorizo, have not seen it here. I'd eat it, sounds yummy!

Sounds good, GG!

I make a black bean and corn salad which is wonderful! Corn, black beans, celery, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and a lime, vinegar dressing.

Attachments

• beancornsalad.jpg
    beancornsalad.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Thank you! Apple Cider. I like using Apple Cider Vinegar, Rice Vinegar or Balsamic. Just depends on my mood and what I'm making.

I've made two different kinds of "corn and beans and..." Saturday and yesterday. The first version was corn, black beans, red onion, and grape tomato; dressed with lime juice, OO, parsley, and S&P. Yesterday's had corn, cannelloni beans, scallion, black olives, grape tomatoes, Persian cuke; dressed with lemon juice, OO, fresh basil, S&P. Himself said he liked the lime one better and that the black beans had more flavor than the white. Of course I was contrary, liking the white-bean version better. Maybe next try I'll use a different brand of white bean and make the dish a day ahead.

Back
Top Bottom