Jalapeño Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Hi have a ton of jalapeño peppers from my garden and I am looking for ways to use them. I was thinking of making a jalapeño jelly. Does anyone have a good recipe? My jalapeños are seriously lacking in the heat dept so I am guessing I can add some cayenne to spice it up a bit. Thanks in advance for any great recipe suggestions you might have :)

Jalapeno Jelly

Here are two great recipes.

Apricot Jalapeno Jelly
1/2 c Jalapeno peppers, stems & seeds removed
1 lg Red bell pepper, stem & seeds removed
2 c Cider vinegar
1 1/2 c dried apricots, chopped
6 c Sugar
3 oz Liquid pectin
4 Drops red food color (if desired)

1.Put jalapenos, bell pepper, & vinegar in blender. Puree until coarsely ground and small chunks remain.
2.Combine apricots, sugar, & jalapeno pepper mixture in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil rapidly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; skim off any foam that forms.
3.Allow mixture to cool for 2 minutes. Then mix in pectin (and food coloring if using).
4.Pour into sterilized jars, seal, and cool.

Jalapeno Jelly
3 c Apple cider vinegar
10 c Sugar
20 Jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, -finely diced
3 lg Anaheim chilies, seeded and finely diced
12 oz Liquid pectin

1.In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil. Stir mixture until sugar is dissoved, and lower heat to simmer. Add the Jalepenos and Anaheims, and simmer for 10 minutes, skim foam from the top.
2.Stir in the pectin and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, and let stand for 20 minutes. Pour into hot steralized jars and seal.

Here's the hot one:

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pair rubber gloves
3/4 pound jalapeno peppers (about 35) -- washed, stemmed, halved lengthwise
2 cups cider vinegar -- 5% acidity on label
6 cups sugar
2 3 oz. pouches liquid pectin
10 drops green food coloring

Use gloves! In food processor, blend peppers and 1 cup vinegar until smooth. In 6 to 8 qt. pan, combine sugar, pepper mixture and remaining cup vinegar. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down), stirring constantly.

Boil hard 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in liquid pectin. Return to full rolling boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add food coloring. Skim foam if needed. Fill sterile half pint jars. Wipe tops of jars and threads. Put hot lids on and seal. Turn upside down for less than 5 minutes then turn. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.

NOTES : Very hot jelly; best served on Ritz crackers with cream cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom