Jalapeno 911 ?!? !?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snip, I like to let some of mine ripen to red--they look so pretty sliced up in the jars, red and green.

I don't see any difference in flavor, but I rarely eat plain jalapenos.

Snip, I like to let some of mine ripen to red--they look so pretty sliced up in the jars, red and green.

I don't see any difference in flavor, but I rarely eat plain jalapenos.

Thank you for the reply, I was starting to think no one has had red jalapeno's :LOL:
They do look gorgeous, pretty bright red and green. I almost don't want to use them. Think I'll make some for christmas gifts since they have loads of mixed packets at our supermarket. I eat them all the time, even straight from the jar. I love chillies!

I used to work with a guy who prided himself on pickling his own jalapenos. One day he came to work and told me had forgotten about some he had put up in jars. They had eaten through the metal lids. WOW. One drop of that stuff was:w00t2: well let's just say. FIRE!

Wow :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Just to update the topic, my best jalapeno method turned out to be roasting and chopping them. I described the technique earlier in the topic. I used the last of them now 9 days later and I'm sure they would last much longer.

In New Mexico they have what they call "Christmas" chili. That's both red and green chili together. You can pretend to be a local when you order your food that way! ;) (I lived there all last summer...)

The only difference between green, yellow and red jalapenos, or Thai chilis for that matter, is how long they've ripened. You can put green chilis in a dish on your counter and they'll go yellow then red.

I usually just leave my Thai chilis out. Sometimes they get kind of dried so I just ignore them for a month or so. Other times I've chopped them up and let them dry that way. In the first case when they get really dry I chop them up or dry them, in the latter case they're already chopped. Either way they might benefit from a mortar and pestle, or you can have chunky style.

In fact I've got a bowl of Thai chilis on the sink right now and I think I'll whack them with a chef knife a bit and let them sit a few more weeks...

----

The frozen jalapenos made decent poppers although the skins were a bit mushy, and not quite as good after popping them as fresh, but still good.

So far the best way I've found to preserve them is to roast them and chop them and refrigerate. Or you could freeze for much longer life. I think they'll last easily two weeks in the refrigerator.

What kind of bacteria wouldn't die if it hit hot chili peppers? ;)

In New Mexico they have what they call "Christmas" chili. That's both red and green chili together. You can pretend to be a local when you order your food that way! ;) (I lived there all last summer...)

I now have lots of Christmas chillies in my fridge :)

The only difference between green, yellow and red jalapenos, or Thai chilis for that matter, is how long they've ripened. You can put green chilis in a dish on your counter and they'll go yellow then red.

I've opened the first bottle, they do taste different but in a good way.

What kind of bacteria wouldn't die if it hit hot chili peppers? ;)[/QUOTE]

Me, I'm a tough little germ :LOL:

I'm workin' on this topic just for you, pumpkin, but it's interfering with cooking my dinner, and I wouldn't want to delay you from posting tomorrow's dinner topic. I'd kind of like to face tomorrow's dinner after I've ate tonight's dinner. :-p

I'm workin' on this topic just for you, pumpkin, but it's interfering with cooking my dinner, and I wouldn't want to delay you from posting tomorrow's dinner topic. I'd kind of like to face tomorrow's dinner after I've ate tonight's dinner. :-p

Just for me, I feel special now :angel:
You make dinner without Jalapeno's?, that's just wrong :LOL: I'm still stumped with tonights dinner, it's only 7 am and my coffee is not working! Wish it had Vodka in it. I don't like Mondays :ermm:

Snippy, aren't you busy cooking tomorrow's dinner?

Actually I added some jalapenos to my lamb burger, although they were freshly chopped. (Well, freshly chopped a few days ago. Believe me, those things are too mean for any bacteria to mess with them...)

Hey, vodka's not just for rabbits! Try it with your Trix! :-p Don't like Mondays, eh? You should be where I am, it's still Sunday for another 18 minutes. I'll be counting sheep when Monday rolls around...

(By the way, forget the vodka. Everclear is the real deal!!! 190 proof!!!)

So here's the pics you've been pestering me about. ;)

1. fresh jalapenos (okay, mature jalapenos)
2. after I roasted the yoohoo out of them
3. then you peel the blistered skins off
4. all chopped up on the block, courtesy of a chef knife
5. and condimentized, ready to eat (condomentised if you're UK English)

Actually they're worth buying just to torture and whack 'em, better than canned chilis and probably 1/10 the price if even that.

And by the way, don't even think of picking the seeds out. That's part of what makes 'em good, and roasting the jalapenos mellows them to some degree.

p.s. you keep sippin' the vodka in the mocha and you won't be awake for tomorrow's/today's dinner... ;)

p.p.s. still Sunday here for another 6 miinutes...

p.p.p.s. what are you having for dinner Tuesday? wow, I bet that came out of left field! :D :cool:

Last edited:
Snippy, aren't you busy cooking tomorrow's dinner?

Was actually eating some leftovers from today's dinner :LOL:
Made some hamburger soup for tomorrow's dinner. (This could get confusing!)
Daughter was on the internet so I think what I concocted is hamburger soup :p

Actually I added some jalapenos to my lamb burger, although they were freshly chopped. (Well, freshly chopped a few days ago. Believe me, those things are too mean for any bacteria to mess with them...)

Yum! lamb and jalapeno's! Can feel my toes curling :yum:

Hey, vodka's not just for rabbits! Try it with your Trix! Don't like Mondays, eh? You should be where I am, it's still Sunday for another 18 minutes. I'll be counting sheep when Monday rolls around...

At least time is going by slower than here ;)

(By the way, forget the vodka. Everclear is the real deal!!! 190 proof!!!)

Trying to get rid of me, that stuff could kill you!
Prefer tasting what I drink and haven't been drunk in a long time. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing! :angel:

So here's the pics you've been pestering me about.

1. fresh jalapenos (okay, mature jalapenos)
2. after I roasted the yoohoo out of them
3. then you peel the blistered skins off
4. all chopped up on the block, courtesy of a chef knife
5. and condimentized, ready to eat (condomentised if you're UK English)

Actually they're worth buying just to torture and whack 'em, better than canned chilis and probably 1/10 the price if even that.

:ROFLMAO:

And by the way, don't even think of picking the seeds out. That's part of what makes 'em good, and roasting the jalapenos mellows them to some degree.

I'm a big girl, I can handle my heat!

p.s. you keep sippin' the vodka in the mocha and you won't be awake for tomorrow's/today's dinner...

Oh bite me! :rolleyes:

p.p.s. still Sunday here for another 6 miinutes...

Happy Monday! It's not Sunday anymore :D

p.p.p.s. what are you having for dinner Tuesday? wow, I bet that came out of left field! :D

Hamburger Soup, apparently Americans can't afford bread rolls.

P.S The condomentised jalapeno's sound great! I'll try it :chef:

lmao u da funny grrl! :D

Ask not for whom the bell tolls... Mine just tolled 6 gongs and now I'm up and at 'em! :) My caffeine level has just about reached operating level... A second cup and I'll be in the zone! I'm drinking WFM 77865 "Volcan Mind Blend" or maybe it's "Vulcan..." this guy wrote it down sloppy. Pretty good coffee! I usually drink TJ's Colombian.

In the end freezing jalapenos worked out to be an unsatisfactory method because when thawed they're kind of rubbery, although if they're going to be chopped as an ingredient they're probably okay.

Broiling them, peeling them and making a one-ingredient salsa turned out to be an excellent method, and I'm going to buy additional jalapenos (over my popper quota) just to burn them and hack their little singed flayed bodies into jalapeno salsa! This results in a broad flavored salsa (due to the roasting) somewhere between raw and cooked, but it evaporates in the refrigerator due to it being so good on lots of things that it gets used up.

The sliced and frozen jalapenos thawed and made into poppers produced limp poppers that still tasted okay but fresh jalapeno poppers are better.

lmao u da funny grrl! :D

Ask not for whom the bell tolls... Mine just tolled 6 gongs and now I'm up and at 'em! :) My caffeine level has just about reached operating level... A second cup and I'll be in the zone! I'm drinking WFM 77865 "Volcan Mind Blend" or maybe it's "Vulcan..." this guy wrote it down sloppy. Pretty good coffee! I usually drink TJ's Colombian.

In the end freezing jalapenos worked out to be an unsatisfactory method because when thawed they're kind of rubbery, although if they're going to be chopped as an ingredient they're probably okay.

Broiling them, peeling them and making a one-ingredient salsa turned out to be an excellent method, and I'm going to buy additional jalapenos (over my popper quota) just to burn them and hack their little singed flayed bodies into jalapeno salsa! This results in a broad flavored salsa (due to the roasting) somewhere between raw and cooked, but it evaporates in the refrigerator due to it being so good on lots of things that it gets used up.

The sliced and frozen jalapenos thawed and made into poppers produced limp poppers that still tasted okay but fresh jalapeno poppers are better.

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell lalala!
Oh boy I love that first cuppa in the morning :yum: Almost nothing like it, almost ;0)

I'm on a bit of jalapeno mission myself now. Making loads of pickles and relishes :yum: They are hotter than usual though.

Sorry about the half arsed reply to your previous post. All your ideas sound yummy! Was on the phone with my sister, think she has verbal diarrhea lol!

Roast some. I'm sure you will like it. Don't worry if the skins turn black. The technique is used on many peppers in Mexican cuisine. Depending on the pepper blackening is just right to free the outside tough skin to separate it from the delicious contents. This step is often done under running water, probably partly to keep the irritating juices from getting on your hands, partly to make the peppers separate easier. My peppers were a bit difficult to separate without losing some of the flesh.

I made the jalapeno salsa shown in the photographs specifically for photographing (and I only had two left). I usually make a lot more jalapeno salsa than that.

Roast some. I'm sure you will like it. Don't worry if the skins turn black. The technique is used on many peppers in Mexican cuisine. Depending on the pepper blackening is just right to free the outside tough skin to separate it from the delicious contents. This step is often done under running water, probably partly to keep the irritating juices from getting on your hands, partly to make the peppers separate easier. My peppers were a bit difficult to separate without losing some of the flesh.

I made the jalapeno salsa shown in the photographs specifically for photographing (and I only had two left). I usually make a lot more jalapeno salsa than that.

I'm sure I will :) I've roasted other peppers before so I'll try your way for sure! Roasting does add great flavour.

Sorry about the half arsed reply to your previous post. All your ideas sound yummy! Was on the phone with my sister, think she has verbal diarrhea lol!

Don't fret, your reply didn't seem half arsed at all. Possibly fully... ;) I was organizing my food photography section on my HDD, trying to get the various food shot folders more sensibly named so I can find things more easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom