Keeping Mashed Potatoes Warm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Made Dinner - Which included Mashed Potatoes. Supper had to be delayed for about 20 min and thinking how to keep things warm. I placed the bowl of potatoes over a pan of hot water (double boiler) it worked great and they didn't dry out. Just make sure you have them in a bowl that can go on the stove. I had a pyrex bowl that i was whippping them up in and it fit just right in my sauce pan . I filled it half way w water and them put foil over the top.

I butter a piece of parchment, press it down onto the taters, and stick the whole pot in a warm oven. Usually I only make enough for the amount I'm serving, but if there is extra and I have the oven going I do as above.

On family get togethers we put the mashed into a crockpot set on low - then you can leave them in and serve right from the pot ....works great!!!

I always mash my potatoes in the same pan they were cooked in, then set the covered pan on the back of the stove while I make the gravy.
We generally eat buffet style, and the warm foods are set out on the stove-top and surrounding counter space, so things stay fairly warm just from the heat left in the stove.

letscook said:
Made Dinner - Which included Mashed Potatoes. Supper had to be delayed for about 20 min and thinking how to keep things warm. I placed the bowl of potatoes over a pan of hot water (double boiler) it worked great and they didn't dry out. Just make sure you have them in a bowl that can go on the stove. I had a pyrex bowl that i was whippping them up in and it fit just right in my sauce pan . I filled it half way w water and them put foil over the top.

I do this too.....saw someone do it on t.v. and thought it was a wonderful idea and it works beautifully.

If you've already got the oven on, you could bob them in a dish, ruffle up the surface or even sprinkle with cheese and brown them a bit on top, à la cottage pie.

Constance said:
I always mash my potatoes in the same pan they were cooked in, then set the covered pan on the back of the stove while I make the gravy.
We generally eat buffet style, and the warm foods are set out on the stove-top and surrounding counter space, so things stay fairly warm just from the heat left in the stove.

I do the same, or in warm oven!

I also mash them in the pan the taters were cooked in, then cover the pan & keep it on a low burner. Haven't had a burn or scorch yet, although I do mash mine with a lot of butter, so perhaps all that extra fat helps - lol!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom