Large White Onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
What do you use them for?

I do tons of cooking with onions, & always have yellows, reds, & Vidalias, as well as shallots & scallions on hand. Have also cooked with the little pearls & Cippolinis. For some reason have never had a recipe for those huge pristinely snowy-white globes that every supermarket seems to have piles of.

How do they compare to the onions I'm used to using & what am I missing? Are they stronger? Milder? Suitable for a specific purpose? I just never seem to come across anything that specifically asks for them & can't recall ever buying/using one.

I use them for soups, stews, any recipe where I need a large onion. They can be interchanged with the yellow. I'll have to do a side by side taste test. I don't usually find recipes that specify yellow onion or white onion - just onion.

I find the white onions to be a bit hotter...the yellow to be slightly sweeter. I pretty much use them the same.

I use the white and the yellow for the same purposes. It might be worth cooking up a batch of each and seeing how the taste varies.

Raw, I find that the white ones are generally milder. I never get onion eyes with
white onions. Since wife doesn't like yellow onions, all I use are whites. (And scallions).

What do you use them for?

I do tons of cooking with onions, & always have yellows, reds, & Vidalias, as well as shallots & scallions on hand. Have also cooked with the little pearls & Cippolinis. For some reason have never had a recipe for those huge pristinely snowy-white globes that every supermarket seems to have piles of.

How do they compare to the onions I'm used to using & what am I missing? Are they stronger? Milder? Suitable for a specific purpose? I just never seem to come across anything that specifically asks for them & can't recall ever buying/using one.

As the others have said, they can be used interchangeably with yellow onions. And they seem to me to be a little less "onion-y." :wacko:

I find white and yellow are interchangeable in cooking - regardless of size.

There are three things that affect their taste: variety, the soil they were grown in, and the growing climate.

The ones we get in the grocery stores where I live: I find the white onions to be more pungent and hotter ... the basic yellow are milder and sweeter, especially when raw.

:) I also use both, I'm in the white onions are milder side. I like Vidalias when I can get my hands on some. I go through a lot of onions

I can't believe my store still has Vidalias..... seems awfully late in the season, but they also seem stronger tasting than they did a month ago.

I bought a white onion once. It tasted stronger than what I was hoping for. If Vidalias aren't in season and there aren't any 1089's (?) or Mayans..... I'll get a big Spanish onion before a white one. I'm not big on strong onion flavor.

... I find the white onions to be more pungent and hotter ... the basic yellow are milder and sweeter, especially when raw.

My taste buds concur. I have used the whites in comb w other onions for onion soup. I make onion soup in onion bowls (the onion being the 'bowl') - hollow out the onion leaving a few skins, diced it up w other onions, & pour the onion soup into the shell/bowl. The onion shell also makes a nice presentation to fill with dips (guac etc), using the onion insides chopped up & added to the mix. You can also stuff the onions (again, chopping up the insides) & adding it to your stuffing 'mix'. You might also use them for chili or in Mexican dishes.

Back
Top Bottom