Least favorite veggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's easy! It's RUTABAGA!!!!! Don't like how it looks, don't want to deal with that waxy cr*p on the outside, can't figure why anyone bothers with it!

Years ago, foodwriter Leslie Land, in her book "The New England Epicure," devoted a whole chapter to "Hating Rutabaga!" I howled my way through the entire chapter! :LOL:

Those poor veggies :(
Much as I love meat and fish, I hate it when a dish doesn't include veggies. Even in a steakhouse i'm very disappointed if a steak sits on a plate with just a just a lettuce leaf and an almost transparent slice of tomato instead of a decent salad.
Ofcourse a lot also has to do with "proper" cooking. (Proper obviously being a personal matter). Peas cooked "a l'anglaise" are pretty boring. but mount them with some butter, a bit of seasoning and herbs and a chooped oignon and, to me, they are the most tasty vegetable around.
Brussel sprouts when blanched are not that enjoyable either, but when (after blanching them) fried in some bacon drippings and crisp bacon cubes they are just wonderful and melt like butter on the tongue.
Cauliflower is not spectacular either but with a bechamel sauce or a nice cheese sauce is something I like a lot. Works great raw too with a nice cocktail sauce.
Other favourites include: carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, belgian endives, green beans, red cabbage, spinach,....
I'll stop here before I give the non-vegetable lovers a bad case of indigestion :mellow:

Edited to add: anyone ever tried hops shoots (no, as a veg, not as a beer flavouring) ? they are absolutely delicious!

suzyQ3 said:
I still think it's that child in us throwing a tantrum over one yucky veggie or another.

From my persepctive, it is much more than this. Maybe it is my personal interest in food, but I like to understand how people relate to, feel about food. There is an ongoing thread related to comfort food, and this is the same idea for me. People have strong feelings about food, what makes them happy, comfortable, cultural biases/identities. I like to explore the psychology of food.

Canned sweet peas....I'm often forced to serve them to my family because hubby & the kids love them.

Raw onions, celery, & bell peppers....I love them cooked, but raw I just can't stand.

Okra. Years ago, I went on a Christmas do at work. We all went for a curry at lunchtime. One of the dishes was okra. By nightfall, I had had far too much too drink. Next day I felt the worst I have ever felt in my life. I still drink (though never as much!) but have sworn off okra for life.

That's what I like to see, snoop. Someone who makes a scientific decision and KNOWS it couldn't possibly have been the drink that was imbibed.... it HAD to be the okra... In your shoes, I'd have sworn off the veggie, too - the only possible culprit. YAAAAY, you're my kinna wumman, as we would say here! :LOL:

Carrots. They are too darned sweet. I add them to soups and stews but when I'm eating the soup/stew I fish them out. Otherwise I only buy carrots because my lovebird likes them :rolleyes:

Fraidy

crewsk said:
Canned sweet peas

Canned peas are the epitome of bad canned food! I grew up thinking I hated peas because all my mom bought was canned peas; she'd never purchased frozen or fresh peas. Gross!

Back around 1991 when I was a mere 31 years old, I went out on a date and was served fresh peas with my meal (okay, maybe they were frozen, I don't really know). To be polite I took a bite of the peas. OH MY GOD! These are fantastic!

A pox on canned peas! Mushy, slushy, horrid things! How dare anyone call them peas! Dad was especially fond of creamed peas on toast. Oh the humanity! :ohmy:

Fraidy

My brother once got served tinned peas on his birthday. I think he was seven years old - he's 46 now. He's never forgotten it. I agree, they are absolutely awful. Mind you, not as bad as okra!

I do not like brussel sprouts. They way veggies are prepared makes a vast difference to me. Some I like raw but not crazy about cooked i.e. cabbage, cauliflower, turnip... Some in the prep as creamed spinach.... length of cooking time, I cannot abide mushy veggies I like crisp tender.... Parsnips were a no until I had them served julianne and cooked with carrots.....
I am sure there are other NOs but I cannpt think of them.

Half Baked said:
Okra! Bleck. Slimey no matter how you cook or pickle it. :-p

NOT slimey! No, no, no!

You're not cooking them properly Half Baked: olive oil and fry the dickens out of them until they're nicely browned and even a bit crunchy. Nothing slimey about them at that point, I swear.

Beets? Sliced, mixed together with the greens, olive oil and vinegar and crushed garlic ... oh yum.

Racking my brain to come up with a veggie I don't like ...

ChefJune said:
That's easy! It's RUTABAGA!!!!! Don't like how it looks, don't want to deal with that waxy cr*p on the outside, can't figure why anyone bothers with it!

Years ago, foodwriter Leslie Land, in her book "The New England Epicure," devoted a whole chapter to "Hating Rutabaga!" I howled my way through the entire chapter! :LOL:

Quite simply: I'd kill to be able to get ahold of rutabega.

Mashed with potatoes, about half/half, cream ... butter ... salt & pepper. Heaven.

The waxy crap? Peel it and chuck it.

Hi Ayrton, if you're that keen, there's got to be a way to get hold of some. Maybe you could even grow some! Seeds are easy to buy online. I used to think you couldn't get seeds posted abroad from the UK but you can. Thompson & Morgan seeds have two types on offer. Happy chomping.

Snoop Puss said:
Hi Ayrton, if you're that keen, there's got to be a way to get hold of some. Maybe you could even grow some! Seeds are easy to buy online. I used to think you couldn't get seeds posted abroad from the UK but you can. Thompson & Morgan seeds have two types on offer. Happy chomping.

Just went into their site, Snoop! Rutabega seeds, parsnips seeds, my, my.

I shall exercise the credit card momentarily. Thanks for the tip!

I love swede (aka rutabaga) - we use it a lot in Scotland... Probably cos it's one of the few veggies that grow locally in our winter season and many of our traditional recipes pre-date (often by hundreds of years!) the wholesale air transportation of rare summer veggies in the middle of winter.

Well, there really isn't a vegetable I can think of that I don't like--I like all of 'em! I'm definitely NOT a picky eater--love ALL fruits too except I can say that durian fruit isn't the greatest actually!

Back
Top Bottom