Leeks: do you keep the green part?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
Hi friends,

yesterday I stewed some leeks and potatoes and zucchini, for a no-worry dinner with some scrambled eggs.
When I cleared the leek, I notice for the first time (maybe I'm getting smart) how much part of this veg I discard. I mean, I obviously cut away the bottom with its little beard, but I proceed also to cut and throw away a big part of the "rod", I'm talking about all of the greenish part. Not to talk about the outer "case".
I was wondering, do you keep and use much of the green part too, does it have the same flavor of the white one, do you discard it completely as I do?

Thanks

I use the whole lot . I may discard outer leaves if they are very grubby , but usually I just split them lengthways to wash them , chop off the root but but then chop and use the lot . I think the whole thing has a good flavour and I like the colour for soups and stews .

I use the whole lot . I may discard outer leaves if they are very grubby , but usually I just split them lengthways to wash them , chop off the root but but then chop and use the lot . I think the whole thing has a good flavour and I like the colour for soups and stews .

Thanks Gravy Queen, next time I'll follow your advice.

Long life the leek! :)

I use the white and the green in pies, leeks is an awsome vegetable and I would not want to throw anything away.
When I sautee the leeks for a pie, i add several tablespoons of water, several times, until it is tender and soft on low heat and then I add the oil and sautee as the recipe says.

It is also better for my stomach.

:)

I use the whole lot that is tender enough to chew. The part that is tough? I still use it, just as an ingredient for stock. I clean it and toss it in the freezer, then add it to the bones and such when I make a stock. The thing of using only the white part is just to make your potato/leek soup stay white. When doing that, I just clean and freeze the greens.

I use the whole lot that is tender enough to chew. The part that is tough? I still use it, just as an ingredient for stock. I clean it and toss it in the freezer, then add it to the bones and such when I make a stock. The thing of using only the white part is just to make your potato/leek soup stay white. When doing that, I just clean and freeze the greens.
Some of the best potato leek soup (with a greenish tinge) I've ever had was consumed some 65 years ago at Niederstein's. Sadly they went out of business in 2005.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/nyregion/07restaurant.html

Last edited:

Thanks for the tip Claire

Yes, I keep the greens only cutting the very end of them, that is sometimes dry. As the matter of fact I like the green part better.

I use the whole leek, actually (except the root end of course). The outer green leaves I fill with fresh thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves and sometimes rosemary (depending on the broth or stew I am making), then wrap it up and tie it with string as a bouquet garni. That way it is bringing its own flavour to the dish and acting as a natural casing. :)

I used to use the green part of the leek too, but I didn't much like leek. Then I didn't put the green part and liked it much better. I still save the green part for stock.

Hi Luca,
Unless I want whatever I am cooking them for to be white, I use the whole leek. I cut off the really tough green bit though. I often make a side vegetable by slicing in about ½ inch pieces, saute gently in butter (or a mix of butter and oil) until nearly cooked but still al dente, add some flour to make a roux, when this has cooked out add some milk to the required consistency and add a little cream if desired. S&P to season and sometimes a little thyme. As Raymond Blanc would say "et voila".;)

I sometimes do this with just the green part if I have used the white for something else.

Leeks are not something I tend to use but I ate at a restaurant last spring that served leek greens as a side dish. They were cooked very similar to collard greens or spinach. They were very soft and tasty. Different flavor from collards and spinach. Nice side to the steak.

I use the greens and the white part. I often throw the greens in with pot roast a little before I add carrots, potatoes and onions. I would put them in beef stew as well, and they do make a nice side dish for something different.

thanks for the thread . . . I wasnt aware that you could use the whole leek!! I only ever used the white bit and always threw the green part away! wow what a waste! thanks for that - will now use it!

Back
Top Bottom