Let's talk mushrooms. anything--just bring it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just came across a container of dried wild mushrooms that is stamped "best used by 7-01-2011." oops. mushrooms expiring in my house? how did that happen? i must have been saving them for a too-good-for-this-world occasion that never materialized. and what is with these best used by dates anyway? are these mushrooms still good, but not as good as they were before the first of july? i will find out soon enough. if i remember right, the rehydrating liquid will provide me with a rich, mushroomy broth that should be nice even if not "best" in my (sale) beef pot roast....i think i thought these mushrooms would be good forever when i bought them....
My m-i-l- kept dried mushrooms in a coffee can laced with peppercorns to discourage bugs for ever. The storing never hurt them and the broth was always poured throug clean cloth to catch the grit and then the broth was used to improve the taste of the gravy. It also made the gravy a rich brown color instead of red. Good gravy it was wonderful and I still keep mushrooms like ths to this day.
kadesma

I love mushrooms cooked with green onions, a little black pepper and a little sour cream. I also love them cooked with fresh green beans and sliced onion. And the large portabella caps are amazing stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, scallops and garlic and then topped with a little asiago or parmesan. Tasty stuff. Pretty much anything mushroom I've tried I really liked. Although, I found out that with some varieties, there is such a thing as too many mushrooms. I once made a hot and sour soup with dried wood ear mushrooms and added a few too many strips. It was a little overwhelming and really bitter. Little bit of wood ear, really good. Too much wood ear, bleh.

i accidentally left a tube of crescent rolls out on the counter and it split open, leaving me with one solid log of bread dough. i cut it into sections (8-10) spooned a mushroom mixture into the center of each "roll" and baked up a batch of hors d'oeuvres for a phenomenal brunch treat i will soon be repeating--intentionally. the mushroom mix is one i like to keep on hand for omelets, pastas, gravies, soups, etc. (i simply saute together about 6 ozs. mushrooms together with an onion in butter) this will keep beautifully, refrigerated, for a week or longer--how much longer i don't know coz in my house it gets used up quickly....

Try portobello mushroom pizza. Take a portobello mushroom cap and brush a little bit of olive oil on both sides. Then heat it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Afterwards put some tomato sauce on it with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni to top it. Then place it back in the oven until the cheese melts. It is a delicious meal for any mushroom lover.

i just came across a container of dried wild mushrooms that is stamped "best used by 7-01-2011." ....

Best used doesn't mean that they are bad now. I have had dry mushrooms for years. They do not have as much flavor, but otherwise are perfectly fine.

Yeah, there are just so many things nowadays that are sort of prohibited. If they were all going to kill me, I'm dead a dozen times over. I'm not foolish, but I'm 56, which generally means I'm too old to die young, especially not from food. There are a few things I do that I'm not sure I'd recommend to others (for example I love raw beef; I don't serve carpaccio or tartare to others, but happily eat it myself). But I don't worry about the mushrooms I do eat, although I'm selective in who wants to sell me foraged mushrooms and even herbs.

I love mushrooms cooked with green onions, a little black pepper and a little sour cream. I also love them cooked with fresh green beans and sliced onion. And the large portabella caps are amazing stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, scallops and garlic and then topped with a little asiago or parmesan. Tasty stuff. Pretty much anything mushroom I've tried I really liked. Although, I found out that with some varieties, there is such a thing as too many mushrooms. I once made a hot and sour soup with dried wood ear mushrooms and added a few too many strips. It was a little overwhelming and really bitter. Little bit of wood ear, really good. Too much wood ear, bleh.

your and spage424's ideas for stuffing portabellas are on my short list! anything mushrooms make that list. let the rest wait....:)

Care to share your hot and sour soup recipe, please?
You can make with vinegar or sour kraut juice, hot red peppers, mushrooms, strained mushroom soaking water and chicken broth and garnish with scallions. If you want to get fancy, you can add some tiger lily buds. If you want it to stick to your ribs, you can add egg barley.

Last edited:
I live in mushroom country..Chester County PA. I can buy right from the "farm" 7 days a week. Love making a mushroom bread pudding, sort of baked stuffing for steaks chops etc. so good. recently have fallen in love with King Oyster or King Eringi mushrooms. Large dense, slice and saute in olive oil s and p...you'd think you had them in pure butter. add shallots and make toast! :)

Care to share your hot and sour soup recipe, please?

I don't have exact measurments (I really need to get better about that) but I can tell you what I put in it. It's actually a really simple and basic soup. I start with chicken broth, about half a pot full. Like, sauce pot, not stock pot. I add some fresh ginger, maybe two teaspoons, minced extremely fine, about two teaspoons of low sodium soy sauce and about a teaspoon of sriracha chili sauce. I add the dried would ear mushrooms, I'd say start with about a half cup and add more from there to taste. I didn't bother to rehydrate them, I let the soup do it and that works out well. I also add a can of bamboo shoots and some thin sliced onion, about half a small one. I bring it up to a boil add one or two teaspoons white or cider vinegar (depending on my mood) and then cover and reduce to a simmer. It cooks 10-15 minutes. I taste the soup as I go and adjust it to fit what I'm looking for since sometimes I like it hotter or with more ginger or soy sauce. I usually serve it with sliced green onions or chives.

Shroom! The variety is remarkable; that each tastes different is magical. I like getting stuck on just one for a stretch, experimenting with it. Right now, it's giant abalone mushrooms. From its cooked shape, color and texture, it's aptly named. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Mushrooms are marvelous. They make almost any food better, from bread to steak, to fish, to (fill in the blank)!

My favorite "cheffy" tip for mushrooms: When the recipe calls for "wild" mushrooms and all you can find is the white button kind (or even -- sadly -- canned ones) while you are sauteeing them, (be sure to use lots of real butter) squirt a little lemon juice on them to freshen up their flavor. Then just before they're finished, toss in a handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley. Amazing the transformation. As I said, it even works with canned mushies. Rinse them well (to help remove the "can" taste) and dry well. Then slice and proceed as for fresh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom