Looking for a specific cabbage recipe-Can you help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplegirl

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am looking for a cabbage recipe that I had about 10 years ago and am hoping someone may have had something similar. A past friend of mine made this and it was really delicioius. It was originally in a cooking magazine, probably about 1995-1997 or so. I don't remember the name of the magazine.

I know this much about it: You fried bacon until crisp, then removed the bacon and cooked the shredded cabbage in the bacon grease. You added the crisp bacon back in and then stirred in sour cream when it was done cooking. It was served as a vegetable side dish.

I have no idea what else went into the recipe or what it was seasoned with, but I know it turned out great. If anyone has a similar recipe that you would be willing to share that would be much appreciated. :)

Thank you!

Laura

PAN FRIED COLE SLAW
2 slices bacon
6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage

1 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet.
Sauté cabbage in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add sugar, vinegar, water, salt, and celery seed, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Crumble bacon and stir into sautéd cabbage. Serve warm.

Caine said:
PAN FRIED COLE SLAW
2 slices bacon
6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage

1 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet.
Sauté cabbage in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add sugar, vinegar, water, salt, and celery seed, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Crumble bacon and stir into sautéd cabbage. Serve warm.

Thanks for sharing, this is something I know I would like !!

Kitchenelf, Yes, I think this is the recipe. It sounds just like what I remember. Thank you!

Caine, this recipe sounds really good as well. I had planted cabbage in my garden for the first time this year and it did very well, so I have a lot of cabbage to use. I will try this one this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

Laura

Back
Top Bottom