Looking for kelp, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportman

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I recently started eating a lot healthier. I'm trying to cut down my intake of red meat.
I have a friend who praises kelp. Do you guys know of any delicious kelp recipes? It can be all veggies, or have seafood in it.
Or know of any good websites?

Hi,
I recently started eating a lot healthier. I'm trying to cut down my intake of red meat.
I have a friend who praises kelp. Do you guys know of any delicious kelp recipes? It can be all veggies, or have seafood in it.
Or know of any good websites?

Have you tried to google "kelp'? I would look for sites or forums in the Asian community. I don't recall anyone here mentioning kelp at all. But then I have only been a member for less than a year. :angel:

Have you tried to google "kelp'? I would look for sites or forums in the Asian community. I don't recall anyone here mentioning kelp at all. But then I have only been a member for less than a year. :angel:
Actually, someone or several someones have mentioned dashi, which is a stock made from kelp.

My Scottish exDH grew up eating kelp. He said it was a common food near the coast.

I've only eaten Dulse (sp? a Maritime specialty) and Nori. I slice Nori and add it to soups. I used to buy powdered kelp and add that to my dogs' homemade food. You can get it at health food stores and add it to soups, etc. Although, one could probably pulverize Nori in a coffee/spice mill or food processor.

I use powdered Kelp, which is very easy to add to beverages or foods as desired. It can be ordered online. Google "Kelp Powder".

Kelp help? People that eat kelp need help lol! The only way I can stomach it is wrapped around sushi. You get it in tablet form if the taste isn't something you like but you want the health benefits.

Lava Bread made out of seaweed is a Welsh National dish.:ermm:
Cockles & Lava Bread recipe - Floyd on Britain & Ireland - BBC - YouTube
Interesting name for a seaweed, so I looked it up. It's the same seaweed as nori.

I don't think most people on this side of the pond realize that kelp is a traditional food in the British Isles. My Scottish ex grew up eating it.

I've had some decent seaweed salads but know that there are lots of varieties. I've made one in the past from dried wakame seaweed. You can get it whole or cut and it has to be soaked for a few minutes in warm water and rinsed a few times.

I've made a dressing from rice vinegar, soy, fresh ginger, garlic, cilantro and some sesame. If you want to make this salad really decadent you could serve it topped with some smoked salmon and slivered radishes.

Back
Top Bottom