looking for stuffed pepper ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a couple of sweet pepper plants in the garden this year. The other plants are roma tomatos and the various herbs for cooking.
I was hoping that I might be able to get some ideas on good stuffings for the peppers.
I have found a couple recipes on here that I might try, but the more options I have the better.
So what does everyone else stuff their peppers with?

Phil

This is a recipe I found in The Advocate, the Baton Rouge newspaper...I've made it several times - I like to add some hot sauce!Upside-down stuffed bell peppers
Cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (personal note: I always use more garlic!!)
1 lb. ground beef
1 (10 3/4 oz) can French onion soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of water
1 1/2 cups raw rice
Salt and red and black peppers, to taste
6 large whole red or green bell peppers

1. In a large Dutch oven, saute in a small amount of cooking oil the onion, celery, chopped bell pepper and garlic. Add the raw ground beef and brown well. Add soups, water, rice, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Mix well. Cook until heated through.
2. Cut the stem ends off the whole bell peppers. Scoop out seeds and clean well.
3. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray.
4. Stuff each pepper about three-fourths full of the rice mixture. Quickly invert each pepper, rice side down, into the baking dish.
5. Put the remaining rice mixture around the peppers. Cover the dish tightly and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Do not open the cover until the cooking is complete.

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
This is my own recipe...hope you enjoy it.

6 large sweet bell peppers
1 can Campbell's Naco Cheese Soup

Filling:
1 lb roll pork sausage
1-1/2 lb lean ground chuck
2 cans fat free refried beans
1 cup Pace Picante Sauce
1 small can tomato sauce
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 tbl chili powder
8 oz shredded Mexican style cheese
hot sauce to taste

On the side: lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, avacados (opt)
Warmed flour or corn tortillas, or corn chips

Blanch cleaned peppers in boiling water for a few minutes to soften them a bit. Drain upside down on paper towels.
Crumble and brown the sausage and ground chuck until no pink remains,and drain well in a colander. (I do the browning in a large round bowl in the microwave to save dishes.)
Return meat to bowl, combine with remaining ingredients, and taste for seasoning.
Spoon filling into peppers and place in sprayed baking dish. Pour a can of nacho cheese soup over the top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees till hot and bubbly. If you have extra filling, freeze for later use.
Serve on a bed of lettuce with warmed flour tortillas, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and slices of avacado (opt).

Hi all,

For a change of pace I like to hollow out whole peppers and fill them with a mix of diced cucumber, papaya, a little cilantro and some coconut milk (just a bit though, or it becomes too runny). Fill the peppers and leave them to chill in the fridge or on ice for at least an hour before serving. They go wonderfully with spicy meats or bbq fare.

So here is essentially what I did.
chopped up half a sweet pepper
chopped up one med. Vidalia Onion
A heavy T of minced garlic
One yellow Tomato diced.
In to a pot with some olive oil added 1.25# lean ground beef.
I browned the meat then added
One can stewed tomatos (half processed to a paste)
a small can of corn (drained)
a can of black beans (drained)
Ground red pepper.
about 2 1/2 C rice
about 4 C water
covered and simmered until rice was cooked.
Sat over night in the frig.

In a cake pan I cut my peppers in half length wise and laid them in the bottom of a cake pan that I sprayed with PAM.
I then suffed them and packed the excess around the peppers. Took a half a jar of Pace Mild Picante sauce and poured it on top. Covered with foil and cooked for 40 mins on 425.
I took it out and covered it with Kraft mexican cheese blend, then back in the oven for another 10 mins.

It turned out really good. I have lots of left overs if anyone wants to come to dinner.:-p

Kingsfish

sounds like you have a tasty dish there. I like the sound of it and will give it a try soon..Thanks for sharing with us.
kadesma

Hey KF, we're neighbors! I'm in Charlotte. Did you make it out to the bbq contest they had in Hickory?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom