Lots of carrots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Side dish. Peel 2-3 good sized carrots and slice them on the bias about 1/4" thick. In a saute pan over medium high heat, add 1/4 C water, 1/2 stick butter and a pinch of salt. Heat until butter is melted. Add carrots, cover and steam until water evaporates and carrots are fork tender. After the water has evaporated, the butter should remain. Add 2-3 Tbsp of light brown sugar and several (to taste) splashes of bourbon, brandy or rum and saute uncovered until a thick glaze forms.:yum:

Last edited:
Carrot soup (I posted a Dill and Carrot Soup several months ago)
Juice some and freeze the juice (or drink the juice) you can add it to veggie stock later
Carrots do keep fairly well. I store mine in a bucket with sawdust in the coldest part of the basement. Sometimes they sprout new greens, but that's okay, the greens are tasty as well.

Wow great ideas everyone! Every thing sounds so yummy. Made a carrot cake last night, tonight I'm thinking carrot soup! I might freeze some for later!

I like them cut into coins and boiled until tender, drain and dress with butter, real maple syrup. salt and pepper.

Cook plenty so you have enough for the two old recipes below.

Carrot pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar, brown or white, or a combination
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
2 cups cooked carrot slices (squash, pumpkin or sweet potato works just as well.)
1½ cups milk, I use skim but, whole or a can of evaporated milk will make a richer pie.

Directions

Put everything in the blender and hit the button!
Pour into a prepared pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce temp to 350 and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool and serve with plenty of whipped cream.

Copper Pennies

Ingredients
1 pound of raw carrots, peeled and sliced thin, about 4 cups
1/2 of a medium onion sliced very thin
1/2 of a green or red bell pepper, sliced very thin

Dressing
1 can of condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of oil
3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
salt and pepper, to taste

Boil sliced carrots until tender and toss with onion and bell peppers. .
Put all dressing ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
Pour hot dressing over vegetables and marinate for 24 hours.
This keeps well and improves with age.

This has been in every church cookbook I have ever seen. It amazes me how the folks at Campbell have influenced an entire nation generation after generation.

Didn't see this post, I also suggested copper penny salad :LOL: Oops, sorry!

Last edited:
True to life I am hesitant to admit. When Jr. was little, we were on a vegetarain kick. Made our own baby food to feed him. Lots of mashed carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, rutabagas. Peaches. All his faves. He gobbled them all. His nose turned orange. We noticed when we tried washing his face after eating one time, does any kid not smear their food on the tray and everywhere on their head. The color did not come off !! As we say in the north-land -- uffda, uff-da mayda. A quick re-think and diet change.

When Susan Dey was young (her Parteidge Family days), she had a terrible problem with anorexia. At one point all she would eat were carrots. She ate so many that her skin literally turned orange.

Thank you. And the orange skin was the result of an overdose of Vitamin A. Could have been fatal. That's why Inuits do not eat the liver of the Walrus and other wild meat that they kill.

There is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing.' :angel:

True to life I am hesitant to admit. When Jr. was little, we were on a vegetarain kick. Made our own baby food to feed him. Lots of mashed carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, rutabagas. Peaches. All his faves. He gobbled them all. His nose turned orange. We noticed when we tried washing his face after eating one time, does any kid not smear their food on the tray and everywhere on their head. The color did not come off !! As we say in the north-land -- uffda, uff-da mayda. A quick re-think and diet change.

Wise parents. You can be sure you also were giving your little one an overdose of Vitamin A. He should have great eyesight though. Vitamin A is also found in organ meats such as liver. It is really concentrated in wild animals. Thus Inuits and other folks who live off of what they hunt, do not eat the liver. They feed it to their dogs. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom