Lots of carrots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariel.D.

Assistant Cook
Hi all !

My husband brought home a garbage full of carrots!!!!! I'm thinking the obvious...carrot cake, raw, sautéed. Anyone have any other ideas?

Hi Ariel! I know some horses that would just love for that to happen to them :) You could can the carrots using a hot or cold pack method. You might also like this carrot pudding.

• 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Small finely chopped onion
  • ¼ Cup long grain white rice
  • 1 ½ Cups chicken broth
  • 6 Medium size carrots peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 ½ Teaspoons dried tarragon
  • Salt/ black pepper to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons skim milk
  • 3 Large egg whites
Sauté onions in melted butter for 5 minutes.
Add rice and broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add carrots, tarragon, salt and pepper; cover and cook until rice and carrots are very tender.
Preheat oven to 375 F degrees; grease 1 quart baking dish and set aside.
Process or blend carrots and rice until smooth; if mixture is too thick add a little milk while processing.
Put blended mixture into a large bowl.
In a clean bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
Gently stir beaten egg whites into pureed mixture; transfer to greased baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.

I love them roasted. Cut and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast at high temperature (I do 425) until cooked and caramelized nicely.

I had a guest over for dinner who disliked carrots, he tried these and loved them. He cooked some at home the next evening! This method brings out the sweetness.

Painless Cooking- I wish I was a horse right about now! ;-) soup sounds pretty good.

Bakechef- Sounds YUMMYYYY! Definitely adding that to my list. :) thank you

Make carrot soup.

Get out your sauté pan or oven roast carrots. Par boil or not. I ‘ve used most of these at one time or another.
Combine with a little oil or butter and any one of these to add flavor: mint, lemon, lime, orange, cumin, thyme, chile flakes, allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugar, ginger, curry powder, garlic, marjoram, any fresh herb you have pretty much works, and no repeats.
Pot Roast. Perhaps my favorite way to serve carrots. I have left out the potatoes and cooked them separate so there would be room to add more carrots, if I have lots of carrots on hand.
Here’s one I made last summer in a grill pan on the webber grill. Amount of sauce ingreds or veggies easily adjust.
Green beans and Carrots.

1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
1/2 lb carrots, sliced lengthwise in halves or quarters
1 to 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
½-1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper

Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until toasty. Set aside.
Steam carrots and beans for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, salt, pepper with sesame oil.
Put a wok or sauté pan on very high heat. Once it's hot, add peanut oil. Stir in the beans and carrots and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the seasoning mixture and stir-fry for another 1 minute. Take off the heat. Transfer to serving dish. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds. Serve.
Note: May use a grill pan or heavy duty foil. Toss the veggies with the cooking oil before tossing in the pan. Cook over hot fire for a few minutes until slightly caramelized. Toss with the sauce and sesame seeds while hot. Serve.

Wow, that's a lot of carrots!

I actually never liked carrots much until I started fixing them this way. I got the idea here, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember who it was, to give credit where credit is due.
They are just delicious .......

Simmer carrots covered in a small amount of salted water till half tender and pour off any remaining water. Add 2 parts butter, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part honey and a few shakes of ground ginger to the carrots. Continue to stir and cook till carrots are tender.
Yumm Yumm Yumm

I like them cut into coins and boiled until tender, drain and dress with butter, real maple syrup. salt and pepper.

Cook plenty so you have enough for the two old recipes below.

Carrot pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar, brown or white, or a combination
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
2 cups cooked carrot slices (squash, pumpkin or sweet potato works just as well.)
1½ cups milk, I use skim but, whole or a can of evaporated milk will make a richer pie.

Directions

Put everything in the blender and hit the button!
Pour into a prepared pie shell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce temp to 350 and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool and serve with plenty of whipped cream.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Copper Pennies

Ingredients
1 pound of raw carrots, peeled and sliced thin, about 4 cups
1/2 of a medium onion sliced very thin
1/2 of a green or red bell pepper, sliced very thin

Dressing
1 can of condensed tomato soup
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of oil
3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
salt and pepper, to taste

Boil sliced carrots until tender and toss with onion and bell peppers. .
Put all dressing ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
Pour hot dressing over vegetables and marinate for 24 hours.
This keeps well and improves with age.

This has been in every church cookbook I have ever seen. It amazes me how the folks at Campbell have influenced an entire nation generation after generation.

Last edited:
A quick and easy dish for supper.

Creamed Carrots

Peel and cut carrots into medallions. Enough to feed your family. Simmer in salted water until tender.

While carrots are cooking, make a seasoned to taste white sauce. Add cooked carrots. Serve.

Or you can mash them and mix with mashed potatoes. Add butter and season to taste.

If you Google "carrot recipes", you will find a host of great ways to cook and also serve them raw. Caution though. With this many carrots on hand, be advised that eating too many carrots can bring on an overdose of Vitamin A. And it can also cause your pigment to take on an orange hue. You may want to endear yourself to your neighbors and give some of them away. And I am sure your local food bank would welcome them with open arms. :angel:

One of our folks here said she recently dehydrated 50 lbs. of carrots.

a friend recently taught me her recipe for "cajun carrots". the name is sort of a joke based on one time when her mom tried to make them, and she burned them so badly that the family joked that she blackened them a la cajun style.
it's not a measured recipe, so here goes:

"cajun" carrots.

in a deep frying pan, add some butter and saute a coupla handfuls of baby carrots for a minute or two over medium heat. add a few tbsps of chicken or veggie stock, a half cup or so of orange juice, the peel of half an orange, a good amount of black pepper, kosher salt, and a heaping tbsp of brown sugar. cover and simmer until the carrots are tender. using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots to a serving bowl, then turn the heat to high to help the remaing liquid thicken into a sauce, then pour over the carrots.

I really like the Israeli pickled carrots you get as mezze when you go out to eat. At least they would last a few months so you do not need to eat all the carrots now.

I really like the Israeli pickled carrots you get as mezze when you go out to eat. At least they would last a few months so you do not need to eat all the carrots now.

Oh yeah! I made pickled carrots years ago, forgot how good they were. They'd also look/taste nice in a jardiniere layered with other vegs like cauliflower, radishes, etc. And as Siegal said, they'd last longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom