Making "so-so" tomatoes more flavorful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Some years ago, I was watching Michelle Urvater on the cooking channel, and she said that if your tomatoes were not as tasty as you'd like, like when they're out of season, to squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top.
That does help, and a light sprinkling of sugar makes them even better.

But I've found something even better, thanks to a hint from a friend. There is a salad dressing called "Hendrixson's" that is made from white balsamic vinegar, a trace of olive oil, plus herbs and seasonings. It's great on all sorts of fresh vegetables, and has zero calories.
But it's especially good for tomatoes. Just splash a bit on the sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar/and or salt.
Krogers carries it, and I'm sure lots of other places do to.

Red wine vinegar, always touches bland tomatoes up a bit without adding to much in terms of other flavours (e.g. herbs, garlic etc).

I successfully use supermarket tomatoes for making broiled tomato halves. Not only are they firmer, which helps them stand up to the broiling, but the seasoning of salt, pepper, grated cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs, etc., definitely helps to perk up the flavor.

I also use supermarket tomatoes when sauteeing tomato slices as an accompaniment to morning eggs. Again, they don't fall apart, & seasonings bring them a long way.

Good ideas, Breezy! I love broiled tomatoes.

I've eaten fresh sliced tomatoes with my eggs, but I've never sauteed them. Please tell me how you go about it...I had a lovely omelet yesterday that would have been even better if I'd had tomatoes with it.

All I do is slice them about a 1/2" thick, sprinkle them with a little salt & pepper, & saute them in the same melted butter that I'm cooking my eggs in. Sometimes I'll also sprinkle them with a little dry seasoned breadcrumbs &/or dried herbs as well. I'm really just heating them thru rather than actually cooking them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom