"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 805
Mississippi Yellow Squash

I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth."

Mississippi Yellow Squash

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
4 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/2" rounds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly.
3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings

Source: "Clambakes & Fish Fries" Susan Herrmann Loomis - 1994

cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,006
That sounds delicious. Will have to try making it that way.

I also love scalloped yellow squash. So yummy.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,712
Interesting method, cookieee...

We love yellow squash and I will try it this way..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
That sounds delicious. Will have to try making it that way.

I also love scalloped yellow squash. So yummy.
Please share your method, Linda..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,385
I make a casserole with yellow squash and zucchini. It is layered with onions, Ritz cracker crumbs and butter then baked in the oven. There isn't any additional liquid added.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Please share your method, Linda..

Ross
I don't really have one specific recipe I follow. I like experimenting with different recipes and don't always make it the same way every time, but my favorite one would have to be the Yellow Squash and Zucchini Gratin recipe from Taste of Home (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it or not, but it's easy to find). Sometimes I'll use both yellow squash and zucchini, but mostly I use all yellow squash.

If I'm just winging it without a recipe like my mom always did, I'll slice up 2-3 yellow squash and saute it in a pan with some butter until softened. Then I'll mix it up with a beaten egg, a little heavy cream and crushed crackers (Ritz works best because of their buttery flavor) toss it into a casserole dish and bake in the oven until it's set and browned on top.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I don't really have one specific recipe I follow. I like experimenting with different recipes and don't always make it the same way every time, but my favorite one would have to be the Yellow Squash and Zucchini Gratin recipe from Taste of Home (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it or not, but it's easy to find). Sometimes I'll use both yellow squash and zucchini, but mostly I use all yellow squash.

If I'm just winging it without a recipe like my mom always did, I'll slice up 2-3 yellow squash and saute it in a pan with some butter until softened. Then I'll mix it up with a beaten egg, a little heavy cream and crushed crackers (Ritz works best because of their buttery flavor) toss it into a casserole dish and bake in the oven until it's set and browned on top.

Linda, I make mine much the same as you do with the addition of cheese.
This recipe is one of our favorite sides..
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ole-98584.html
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Linda, I make mine much the same as you do with the addition of cheese.
This recipe is one of our favorite sides..
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...ole-98584.html
That sounds delicious. I'm not a big fan of cheese, though (yeah, I know, I'm an oddball) so I leave the cheese out of the recipes I find for scalloped/baked squash.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth."

Mississippi Yellow Squash

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
4 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/2" rounds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly.
3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings

Source: "Clambakes & Fish Fries" Susan Herrmann Loomis - 1994
I do very similar with Zucchini. Simple yet delicious. Actually going to make it tonight .
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 805
Larry, it is amazing sometimes that the simpler the recipe, the better it is.
Right?
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 805
Linda, remember, I posted this recipe over a year ago. Just wondering if you ever tried it.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
Linda, remember, I posted this recipe over a year ago. Just wondering if you ever tried it.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05
No, I didn't try that one. It sounds interesting, but I would leave out the cumin and the cayenne. So I suppose that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the recipe.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
Larry, it is amazing sometimes that the simpler the recipe, the better it is.
Right?
I agree 100 %
Sometimes the main ingredients can get lost in the dish.
And especially in the summer, when the veggies are at their prime freshness.
Just bringing outthe natural flavors is enough to make a dish taste great.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth."

Mississippi Yellow Squash

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
4 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/2" rounds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly.
3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings

Source: "Clambakes & Fish Fries" Susan Herrmann Loomis - 1994
DH made this for dinner last night. Sorry to say, we both thought it didn't live up to our expectations. Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
DH made this for dinner last night. Sorry to say, we both thought it didn't live up to our expectations. Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?

Sorry you were disappointed with that recipe Cookie. You are most likely looking for more complex flavors, and there's sure nothing wrong with that idea. You may want to take another look at the recipe I left as it's truly a favorite here and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you like it too.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sorry you were disappointed with that recipe Cookie. You are most likely looking for more complex flavors, and there's sure nothing wrong with that idea. You may want to take another look at the recipe I left as it's truly a favorite here and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you like it too.
Hi Kayelle, I know DH would like your recipe, but I am not much of a cheese lover. For me, I would need more spices, maybe. lol We used up all of our yellow squash, but we still have 3 zucchini. Off to check my zucchini recipes.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: KY
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
DH made this for dinner last night. Sorry to say, we both thought it didn't live up to our expectations. Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?
I have been cooking something pretty similar.
I first melt the butter, then saute the onions.
After about 5 minutes, I ad 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of red wine. It always amaze me how much the wine brings so many flavors to any dish.

Then I do the same for the rest of the recipe.
I sometime ad garlic (fresh or powdered), or as Cookieee mentioned it, Cumin and a dash of Cayenne. I use Turmeric mostly for the color.
4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, squash, yellow squash

Mississippi Yellow Squash I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth." Mississippi Yellow Squash 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup water 4 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/2" rounds salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 2 TB. unsalted butter 1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes. 2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly. 3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings Source: "Clambakes & Fish Fries" Susan Herrmann Loomis - 1994 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.