Mississippi Yellow Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth."

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
4 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/2" rounds
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly.
3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings

Source: "Clambakes & Fish Fries" Susan Herrmann Loomis - 1994

I make a casserole with yellow squash and zucchini. It is layered with onions, Ritz cracker crumbs and butter then baked in the oven. There isn't any additional liquid added.

Please share your method, Linda.. :)

Ross

I don't really have one specific recipe I follow. I like experimenting with different recipes and don't always make it the same way every time, but my favorite one would have to be the Yellow Squash and Zucchini Gratin recipe from Taste of Home (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it or not, but it's easy to find). Sometimes I'll use both yellow squash and zucchini, but mostly I use all yellow squash.

If I'm just winging it without a recipe like my mom always did, I'll slice up 2-3 yellow squash and saute it in a pan with some butter until softened. Then I'll mix it up with a beaten egg, a little heavy cream and crushed crackers (Ritz works best because of their buttery flavor) toss it into a casserole dish and bake in the oven until it's set and browned on top.

I don't really have one specific recipe I follow. I like experimenting with different recipes and don't always make it the same way every time, but my favorite one would have to be the Yellow Squash and Zucchini Gratin recipe from Taste of Home (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it or not, but it's easy to find). Sometimes I'll use both yellow squash and zucchini, but mostly I use all yellow squash.

If I'm just winging it without a recipe like my mom always did, I'll slice up 2-3 yellow squash and saute it in a pan with some butter until softened. Then I'll mix it up with a beaten egg, a little heavy cream and crushed crackers (Ritz works best because of their buttery flavor) toss it into a casserole dish and bake in the oven until it's set and browned on top.

Linda, I make mine much the same as you do with the addition of cheese.
This recipe is one of our favorite sides..
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/summer-squash-casserole-98584.html

I really like Yellow Squash and have it often. But I never thought of having it this way. The book says, "A flavor one would never guess existed in yellow squash emerges to a full, round depth."

1/4 cup water
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. Combine the onion and the water in a medium-size saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until the onion is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the squash, season with the salt and pepper, stir, and cover. Cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so it cooks evenly.
3. Drain the vegetables and return them to the saucepan. Stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat, adjust the seasonings, and serve. 6 servings

I do very similar with Zucchini. Simple yet delicious. Actually going to make it tonight .

Linda, remember, I posted this recipe over a year ago. Just wondering if you ever tried it.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05

Linda, remember, I posted this recipe over a year ago. Just wondering if you ever tried it.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mustard Seeds (6 servings)

3 TB veg. oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini and yellow squash, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to pop. After about 30 seconds, add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.

Source: Rachael Ray 12-05

No, I didn't try that one. It sounds interesting, but I would leave out the cumin and the cayenne. So I suppose that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the recipe.

Larry, it is amazing sometimes that the simpler the recipe, the better it is.
Right?

I agree 100 %
Sometimes the main ingredients can get lost in the dish.
And especially in the summer, when the veggies are at their prime freshness.
Just bringing outthe natural flavors is enough to make a dish taste great.

1/4 cup water
2 TB. unsalted butter

DH made this for dinner last night. Sorry to say, we both thought it didn't live up to our expectations. Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?

DH made this for dinner last night. Sorry to say, we both thought it didn't live up to our expectations. Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?

Sorry you were disappointed with that recipe Cookie. You are most likely looking for more complex flavors, and there's sure nothing wrong with that idea. You may want to take another look at the recipe I left as it's truly a favorite here and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you like it too. :yum:

Sorry you were disappointed with that recipe Cookie. You are most likely looking for more complex flavors, and there's sure nothing wrong with that idea. You may want to take another look at the recipe I left as it's truly a favorite here and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you like it too. :yum:
Hi Kayelle, I know DH would like your recipe, but I am not much of a cheese lover. For me, I would need more spices, maybe. lol We used up all of our yellow squash, but we still have 3 zucchini. Off to check my zucchini recipes.

I have been cooking something pretty similar.
I first melt the butter, then saute the onions.
After about 5 minutes, I ad 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of red wine. It always amaze me how much the wine brings so many flavors to any dish.

Then I do the same for the rest of the recipe.
I sometime ad garlic (fresh or powdered), or as Cookieee mentioned it, Cumin and a dash of Cayenne. I use Turmeric mostly for the color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom