Mushrooms Gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one of my experiments gone right. My love of mushroom swiss burgers was the original influence for this....except I prefer it without the burger! ;)

Oh, that sounds delicious. I can see that I can substitute eggplant from the garden and make this as a side...And, since mushrooms are on special this week (I was going to dehydrate them), I think I'm going to have to "scarifice" some that were to go in the dehydrator and make this instead. A perfect side dish for my roast (and a great comfort food since it is a blustery, cold, snowy day here in SE Ontario).

Thanks!

You're gonna love this, CWS. I actually had some leftovers of it the other night, and piled it on some leftover panko bread crumb fried chicken thighs for outa sight hero sandwiches.
LP, do you see there have been over a 100 posts on your "accidental" recipe?
WTG girl!

...and over 2,000 viewers, kayelle. So guess what LPeier....it's in the oven as we speak! I decided I better try this out finally. We're having roasted sweet potato fries, fresh brocolli, tomato basil bisque, and sliced canteloupe to go with it...it's a meatless night. I'll let you know how it turns out...this better be good lol

Last edited:
I made two small dishes of this last night, one for last night and one for tonight :)

You're gonna love this, CWS. I actually had some leftovers of it the other night, and piled it on some leftover panko bread crumb fried chicken thighs for outa sight hero sandwiches.
LP, do you see there have been over a 100 posts on your "accidental" recipe?
WTG girl!

Sorry, Kayelle, I wasn't around when you wrote this. I am very humbled by this. I love your sandwich idea!

...and over 2,000 viewers, kayelle. So guess what LPeier....it's in the oven as we speak! I decided I better try this out finally. We're having roasted sweet potato fries, fresh brocolli, tomato basil bisque, and sliced canteloupe to go with it...it's a meatless night. I'll let you know how it turns out...this better be good lol

I hope this doesn't disappoint you Mollyanne with all the build-up. I really didn't expect this much attention to my little "accidental recipe" (good description Kayelle!

...just finished dinner and it was absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!...oops didn't mean to yell. Everybite was packed with flavor. I liked it paired with the brocolli. Speaking of pairing...the Merlot wasn't bad either :angel: (just a quarter of a glass...honest)

sorry for the typo in my above post LPBeier

Last edited:
Yesterday I made my second batch of mushrooms gratin. Delicious! I liked my first batch better, which used Swiss & portabellas with Italian bread crumbs, whereas this time I used cheddar & white button mushrooms with panko. All Nummies! Thanks, LPB!

I think I've made at least a dozen small casseroles since first finding this recipe. I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but instead of garlic I used thinly sliced shallots and it put in a euphoric state :LOL:

I think I've made at least a dozen small casseroles since first finding this recipe. I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but instead of garlic I used thinly sliced shallots and it put in a euphoric state :LOL:

I'm going to make it with a mix of wild mushrooms. When they start showing up in the store again!:)

Wow, I really can't believe how this little "throw together" has become a DC favourite! Once I can look at mushrooms once again (and I never thought I would EVER say that :LOL:), I am definitely going to try many of your ideas. They all sound incredible!

Hmm, I wonder what sprinkling porcini powder on would taste....:rolleyes:

Wow, I really can't believe how this little "throw together" has become a DC favourite! Once I can look at mushrooms once again (and I never thought I would EVER say that :LOL:), I am definitely going to try many of your ideas. They all sound incredible!

Hmm, I wonder what sprinkling porcini powder on would taste....:rolleyes:

I stopped myself from licking the shaker top on the porcini powder. It smells divine. I can get a jar of mixed, dried wild mushrooms at Costco...rehydrated, I should be able to make this when ever I want and not have to wait for a mixture of fresh in the store.:pig:

Seems to me there are an unusual number of mushroom lovers haunting these pages.:LOL:

I noticed my normal grocery store had dried wild mushrooms, too. Kind of pricey, but I want to get some just to have on hand when the shroom mood hits me.

I noticed my normal grocery store had dried wild mushrooms, too. Kind of pricey, but I want to get some just to have on hand when the shroom mood hits me.

Yup, but not so bad in use. I googled and the consensus seems to be that 3 oz. of dried mushrooms = 1 lb. of fresh ones.

I buy mine at Costco - $14 or $15 for a pound (in greater Montreal). Works out to the equivalent of 5 1/3 lbs fresh. That's better than the "not on special" price for mushrooms here.

Very good point, taxlady. I don't by many dehydrated foods and never gave a thought to the hydrated weight. Thanks. I like being able to justify my purchases, lol.

i wasn't here when this thread ran. can we talk some more about mushrooms? there are so many things to love about them....today, i made a dish combining crimini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms - sauted them together with onions, made a pan gravy, added a bit of wine and spooned the whole thing over some wonderbread toast: breakfast for two! happy july 4th everybody!

i wasn't here when this thread ran. can we talk some more about mushrooms? there are so many things to love about them....today, i made a dish combining crimini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms - sauted them together with onions, made a pan gravy, added a bit of wine and spooned the whole thing over some wonderbread toast: breakfast for two! happy july 4th everybody!

Yum, Mushrooms. We are waiting to gather more members for the Mushroomcult errr, club. Yours sound really good, too...needs a little garlic to keep the vampires mosquitoes away.

You really should try this recipe, Vitauta. It turned out to be a huge favorite for many members.

By all means, vary the types of mushrooms for different dining experiences.

Back
Top Bottom