My string bean recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
My DW decided to buy a pound or so of fresh string beans. A veggie I have never really worked with before, so here goes:

1 1/2 - 2 hand fulls of fresh string beans (tops removed)
1/2 vidalia onion, sliced
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Pat of butter
olive oil, salt & pepper

Par boil the beans and immediately place them in an ice bath. (I used the sautee pan to keep the dirty dishes to a minimum.) Heat 2 T. olive oil and add the onion. Keep the heat low enough not to carmelize. After 2-3 min, add the garlic. Once the onion has become transparent, add the beans and bring up to temp. Add the wine and reduce slightly more than half. Add the cream, S & P to taste and a pat of butter. Reduce quite a bit, you want it to be able to coat the beans. Check again for any more seasoning and serve.:chef:

Last edited:
I'm a big green bean fan and it used to be Del Monte in the can only, or so I thought until I also started buying the fresh ones in the store. I boil them, empty the pot of water and add olive oil, butter and seasoning, which is usually salt & pepper and a little Italian seasoning. Then cook it all some more. Good stuff and simple. I have to remember to get slivered pecans (is it?) and throw some of those in, too.

Your recipe sounds like it would be good over some pork chops :) I don't do much with sauces and creams and may have to give this one a try.

fresh VS jar garlic

Hey thanks for the recipe! I was looking at how i can jazz up some beans (my bf isn't a vege fan lol) and happened to have some cream in the fridge which i don't normally. If i just happened to unfortunately run out of fresh garlic is the minced one from the jar going to taste heaps diff? I only use the jar one when i make butter chicken or some lentil thing if it requires it. (I can't believe i ran out - was cooking for a dinner party on the weekend and ran out - then went to the shops last nite and FORGOT to buy some grrr)

My mother used to make a green bean dish she called Italian fried green beans goes some thing like this 1/4 #bacon saute till crisp add one onion diced medium cook till translucent add beans and a whole bulb of fresh garlic rough chop when slitely carmelized add 1 can of diced tomatoes and one 4 oz tomatoe sauce and a can of water 8oz. simmer till tender s&p to taste..
I added some ground Anise and some oregano and a little basil and it was great different but lip smaking good

Back
Top Bottom