Name this vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyway, for something different, I was thinking of picking up a vegetable I've never had every week (or so) and giving it a go. I got the idea after talking with Katy and her preparing celeriac last week. She made it sound like something I'd like to try. And I saw celeriac (celery root) in Giant Eagle yesterday, too.
Mrs D will cube the Kohlrabi and steam it like Steve does. Then she serves it with a garlic cream sauce. And for Celeriac, she makes a mean creamed Celeriac soup.

I like this idea of trying a new vegetable, or any food, each week.

The problem I have is with the information that people provide about the "new" food. If they say it tastes like chicken I figure I might as well stick with chicken, if they say it tastes like cabbage, I might as well stick with cabbage.

I guess I'm too cheap to be curious about a food that is 3 or 4 times more expensive than the food it tastes like! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Kohlrabi is as common as carrots during winter here in G. As I said, I almost always it them raw, like the sweet cabbagy flavor...
And German breeds don't taste like turnips.. never ever.. :yuk:

Well I've never eaten turnips either, so wouldn't have a clue if they tasted like a turnip or not.

That's funny, Fi. Talk about mislabeling.

Well I've never eaten turnips either, so wouldn't have a clue if they tasted like a turnip or not.

That's funny, Fi. Talk about mislabeling.

Looked a bit better than the Indian Corn he let me plant in the planter by the front door...:LOL:

:LOL: PF! Baby Bro planted pumpkin seeds in Mom's flower garden in front of the house one year, they took over and smothered her peonies.

I find kohlrabi to be much milder than turnips or rhutabegas. Delicious thin sliced or matchsticked and eaten raw, nice on a relish tray with dip too. You could use it in coleslaw, adds a nice crunch.

Keep in mind that I despise Brussels sprouts, thankfully, kohlrabi tastes nothing like them IMO.

Last edited:
I like this idea of trying a new vegetable, or any food, each week.

The problem I have is with the information that people provide about the "new" food. If they say it tastes like chicken I figure I might as well stick with chicken, if they say it tastes like cabbage, I might as well stick with cabbage.

I guess I'm too cheap to be curious about a food that is 3 or 4 times more expensive than the food it tastes like! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
That's why I refused to buy celeriac for a long time. I'm glad it has become less "exotic" and the price has come down.

I am very familiar with celeriac from Denmark. It's a cheap root vegi there. If you buy a "soup package" of fresh vegis, it usually has carrot, celeriac, leek and/or onion, parsnip, might have a cabbage wedge.

And why is leek so expensive? I have this sneaky suspicion that the Irish wouldn't have come up with leek and potato soup if leek had been an expensive vegi.

Ah! kohlrabi! I've never seen it in the store. I was introduced to it years ago by a fellow gardener. I planted some for a few years. I never thought if as exotic, and have only eaten it raw(mild flavor, crunchy texture), good for dipping. I think I will have to plant some again, so I can try them cooked! Thanks PAC!

Last edited:
That's what I'm here for, Somebunny.
I'm glad my limited experience with produce could jar a few memories :LOL:

Well, I'm just jealous. In my local stores, I'm lucky just to find the basics. Greens, yes, but turnips, no. Nothing fancy.

Trust me, Z, I'd never see this in the town grocery store in a million years.

I'm going to go with pea eggplant or tomatillo. (Tomatillos come in all sizes and are twiny.)

Sorry, no pic. And I was going to take one in case I forgot the name, which I did :wacko:

A new to me veggie. It was by the radicchio. It was bright green and shiny, like an unripe tomoato, but it reminded me more of tomatillos. And they were in vine clusters, like on the vine tomatoes.
Does anyone have a guess? If you say it I'll know it :)
Were they striped? - "Green Zebra" heritage tomatoes
Green and a bit mis-shapen (although if grown for the commercial market they might have been selected carefully)? - "German Green" heritage toms
"Lime Green Salad"
"Green Giant"
are just a few of several other green heritage varieties or they may have been ordinary un-ripe tomatoes. Not brilliant for eating raw but cooked they have a following and some of us (well, me at least) make green tomato chutney from unripe ones so perhaps there is a market for them.

If I see anything in the greengrocer's that I don't recognise I ask. (Doesn't work with supermarkets though.)

Last edited:
I went out on a limb, okay it was a strong limb and bought two veggies I am not used to eating. I bought A turnip, a small one, have peeled it and am enjoying it raw, I will steam the rest of it and see how that goes. And baby broccoli, will lightly steam that, although it is quite tasty raw.

I also bought a half pound of kale salad from the deli. It has cranberries, walnuts and apple chunks in it. I'm about to find out if I like it.

Kohlrabi is twiny???? In 'vine clusters'????? Silly me for reading the original post. :LOL:

Silly isn't a word I would use.

Really? The original description didn't sound a bit like it.

I didn't realize you shopped in my store and saw what it looked like.

You can always tell the members who don't read through a thread and see the original question was answered. Can't you? :rolleyes:
Must be a slow day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom