Need "Funky" veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ruhbarb pie..

Children love it, my SIL last year said " this tastes like Colf Syrup" as she was having her 2nd large piece...

I laughed so hard, and now I am the official "pie guy" for next year!

Eric, Austin Tx.

This is FAMILY and they are your guests. Would you knowingly

prepare food that your friends dislike when you have them over. Certainly the memu is up to you and how you cook your food is up to you but they are your guests and they are FAMILY. I have prepared extra dishes for holiday dinners simply because I like to try different things and the more adventurous eaters are willing, but I always make sure I have the safe, tried and true available also. It's more work but it is for a Family Holiday. And memories are made from family traditions.

Just remembered!
Make stuffed onions....
They can't say it's wierd. It's an ONION.

Thanks every one for the suggestions :LOL: I'm sure I will come up with something.

As far as the suggestion of "being nice"....I've tried it. He keeps bringing it back up and I'm not the type to just sit back and say nothing :ohmy:

It's not always turkey on the menu at my house either, sometimes it may be a pork roast, which freaks all the conformists out :-p Did a couple of capons one year.... a Cornish hen for every one another time. One year I did Prime Rib and all the naysayers/no shows actually showed up with company on their arm....won't do that again.

My BIL ALWAYS does a 'cook in the bag' ham for Christmas....I suppose I could freak him out and do a ham for Thanksgiving :angel:

prepare food that your friends dislike when you have them over. Certainly the memu is up to you and how you cook your food is up to you but they are your guests and they are FAMILY. I have prepared extra dishes for holiday dinners simply because I like to try different things and the more adventurous eaters are willing, but I always make sure I have the safe, tried and true available also. It's more work but it is for a Family Holiday. And memories are made from family traditions.

I always fix the normal...the extra foods I cook are for the wife and I and any other brave souls that want to try something different. That's what got me about the "funky veggies" this year......he/she/they are under NO obligation to eat it what so ever. So why bring it up :huh:

Grilled funky vegetable chunks with asparagus between each one.:LOL: So they are 'touching'.

Maybe he doesn't like asparagus because it turns his pee a funny color or it smells (it's genetic and only happens to some people). So next conversation, ask him if that is his problem.:LOL::LOL: Tell him you'd be more than happy to provide another funky vegetable due to his medical condition.:LOL:

Maybe he's doing it to get your goat, so, serve goat! Goat in a sauce over spinach noodles.

Our family is the total opposite, we all bring food and try new recipes each year for the holidays, the same thing over and over would be boring to us.

Maybe he doesn't like asparagus because it smells (it's genetic and only happens to some people).
Just as a side note, this actually happens to everybody. The genetic part is whether you can smell it or not. Some people just can not smell it, but if you can smell it then you would smell it from anyone.

If your BIL is so fond of turkey in the bag, just go to a store that sells camping supplies. There are some very good freeze dried meals on the market, pick one that has turkey and veggies, Turkey Supreme pops in my mind, put the meal in a oven roaster bag, then follow the direction for cooking, usual 5-10 min in boiling water, then let it sit to blend the flavors. You can serve it in his favorite bag and he won't have to deal with funky vegetables or properly cook meat.

Just as a side note, this actually happens to everybody. The genetic part is whether you can smell it or not. Some people just can not smell it, u can smell it then you would smell it from anyone.

Oh, goodness, don't come to one of our dinners that serves asparagus......man, oh, man, alive.........it's well and active in our genes.......and it's there after only one hour..........but it's also one of the most healthy veggies that you can serve so don't let a pee aftersmell turn you off...........and not everyone is afflicted by this........it's not a big deal......:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom