Need help with green bean recipe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
A friend brought these to a dinner here, and they were delish! Here's the recipe he gave me off the top of his head when he was slightly inebriated:

Brandon’s Sweet & Sour Green Beans

10 oz bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
4 cans green beans
½ cup chopped onion

Mix sugars, vinegar and cut up onions. Bring to a boil. Drain green beans and add to vinegar mixture. Reduce heat and continue cooking until beans are well saturated. Remove from heat and let marinate in the refrigerator for 12+ hours. May be eaten any time, but the longer the beans marinate, the better they are. Reheat and add bacon before serving.

When I followed this recipe, my beans tasted way to vinegary. The recipe doesn't say what kind of vinegar to use. I used cidar vinegar, because it's good in most things, but perhaps I should have used plain white vinegar.

When I pickle things, I use equal amounts water, sugar, and vinegar. One probably should drain the green beans, saving one cup of the liquid and adding it to the cooking liquid. I suspect he may have left that step out of the recipe.

Last edited:
Brandon’s Sweet & Sour Green Beans

10 oz bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
4 cans green bean, drained, 1 cup liquid reserved
½ cup chopped onion

Mix sugars, vinegar and cut up onions. Bring to a boil. Drain green beans and add one cup of liquid to the vinegar mixture. If there isn’t enough liquid from the green beans, add water to make 1 cup. Add green beans. Reduce heat and continue cooking until beans are well saturated. Remove from heat and let marinate in the refrigerator for 12+ hours. May be eaten any time, but the longer the they marinate, the better they are. Reheat and add bacon before serving.

How does this recipe look? Any suggestions or ideas?

I would have to try it to see what it is like, but taking a stab at it I would think I would keep it in the liquid in the fridge until use. When ready to eat I would take the green beans out with tongs and throw it in a frying pan with the bacon.
Since I wouldn't use any of the liquid except what was clinging to the green beans I would hope that would 'mild' out the flavor some.

:blush:

Thanks, not often I get accused of that! DW and I love fresh green beans so we have added this to our list and plan on trying it. Won't know for sure until I do, but I just had this vision of taking out an airtight bowl from the fridge and using tongs to take the green beans out and throw them into a hot frying pan with the bacon.
Sounds likes a plan anyway...;)

Edit: I just noticed he used canned instead of fresh, I wonder if he dumped them right in water and all, hence the missing water?

Last edited:
Could be. When I asked him if he drained the beans before adding, he said yes, but as I said, we were partying a bit, and he may have misunderstood me.

Back
Top Bottom