Novel Way to Make Smashed Spuds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I use that method when, after boiling potatoes, I discover there's no milk in the fridge.

Mashed potatoes without butter and milk:

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 pounds of new potatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]¼ cup pecorino cheese, grated [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 tsp garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]4 Tbs Extra Virgin olive oil [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 Tbs vegetable broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Salt and ground black pepper[/FONT]
Instructions:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until a paring knife inserted into a potato meets no resistance. Drain the potatoes, then squeeze them through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add the garlic, grated cheese, olive oil and broth to the potatoes and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.[/FONT]

Mashed potatoes without butter and milk:

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 pounds of new potatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]¼ cup pecorino cheese, grated [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 tsp garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]4 Tbs Extra Virgin olive oil [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 Tbs vegetable broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Salt and ground black pepper[/FONT]
Instructions:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until a paring knife inserted into a potato meets no resistance. Drain the potatoes, then squeeze them through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add the garlic, grated cheese, olive oil and broth to the potatoes and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.[/FONT]

One of the things I do when boiling potatoes or even pasta, is toss an unpeel clove of garlic (or even two or more, depends on size) into the cooking water. It flavors the potatoes or pasta without that raw taste of garlic. I also will toss a couple of cloves into the micro to kill that raw taste when I am using them to flavor olive oil for dipping. The cloves stay in the heated warm oil.

Every so often I will get a bulb of garlic that is very strong. Eating raw garlic is not my favorite dish. :angel:

I have my big container of buttermilk powder. It's good for another year according to the label. So what if I keep it a year after the date code.

Experts in the field (?) are now saying we can keep our foods way after the expiration date. I've got containers of salad dressing that I should throw away according to the "Use by" date. I'm ignoring that lately.

I found out too late that after I opened my buttermilk powder, it needs to be kept in the fridge! Mine was on top of the fridge in a basket for several years, along with the dried beans. Who knew?

I found out too late that after I opened my buttermilk powder, it needs to be kept in the fridge!

In ya go, plastic container of buttermilk powder.

Speaking of powdered procucts, I recently bought a container of Argo Corn Starch. There was no expiration date on the label. The label was falling off so I removed it. Only then could I read the expiration date underneath that label! I found out it was about expired. How dare Argo print the expiration date on the container underneath the paper label which happened to come loose!

Last edited:
Well that would be irritating, Caslon. Grrrr....

I just wrote powdered buttermilk on my shopping list. I used to buy it all the time years ago, but somewhere along the line I forgot about it. I know about the mixing of an acid into milk, but the powdered canister mix is easier. :) I liked the flavor, too.

Methinks this is no longer about different ways of smashing spuds.:LOL: Oh how guilty I am of hijacking threads. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm in very good company it seems.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have my big container of buttermilk powder. It's good for another year according to the label. So what if I keep it a year after the date code.

Experts in the field (?) are now saying we can keep our foods way after the expiration date. I've got containers of salad dressing that I should throw away according to the "Use by" date. I'm ignoring that lately.

Caslon, many years ago housewives were raising a stink about some products going bad. They wanted a system of knowing when a food was about to turn on them. So the food industry came up with the system now in place. "Oh boy! We can increase our sales by giving them a short expiration date!" They got carried away when they started to expire date detergent. By then America's housewives were on to the game plan. They extended the expiration dates to a more reasonable date. And the expiration date for detergent came off the packages. Not all products require an expiration date. But they are there anyway. We as purchasers now don't trust any food product that doesn't have one. The only time you have to be really, really concerned is when you buy a canned good where the top of the can is swollen. If you find one on the shelf at your favorite store, turn it in to the manager immediately. And if you find one in your pantry, don't open it. Just get rid of it as fast as you can.

Use your own judgment when it comes to expiration dates. With a little amount of intelligence, anyone can tell when a product has gone bad when opened and takes a close look. :angel:

Printing the expiration date on the ARGO corn starch plastic container... under the label, there's something unfair/illegal about that. Only after the label peeled off was I able to see the date code printed on the container, and it was out of date...newly bought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom