Oh my Gourd!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, whats the difference between gourds and squashes? Are all squashes gourds or vice versa? Is the gourd just the outside of the squash? Just a random question. I've recently been trying new squashes, but some folks called them gourds so I was just wondering if there is something to identify them other than just semantics.

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I think that all squashes are gourds. Not all gourdes are squashes though. I think melons are considered gourds as well if I am not mistaken. Possibly other things too.

I looked that up kadesma, but it doesn't completely answer it for me. Anyone else able to help me?

Hi Alix

What is basically says is that squash and gourds are related - they are in the same family but belong to a different genus within the family and the species is then part of the genus.

Gourds tend to be inedible but the shells can be hardened and used as storage vessels. There are some squash, such as pumpkins, that also be used like this. Other squash (marrows) are less likely to be useful in that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom