"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
I hope you try our recipe!
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #22
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Where do you learn English ? I note your spelling is American .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
I learned from my parents and in school some English. My DA was a teacher and so is my mother. I learned the American spelling from DA. I loathe to write poorly spelled words. I have only been actively speaking English for three years to prepare for the journey here. I do not have the grammar properly yet but that is another thing DA is assisting to me.

If any of you see the mistakes I am making, you may correct me. I am still learning.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Your English is very good I can understand you very well .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Thank you very much! DA is the greatest of the teachers.

~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
This is a very good dish of DA. I had to input through the online translater to put it to English but I still did the edit.

1 pound cabbage, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/4 pound wide egg noodles
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, or to taste
Pinches of cayenne pepper, sage, rosemary, to taste
Dash of garlic powder
1 large tomato, chopped

Place shredded cabbage in a bowl; sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Allow cabbage to stand for 30 minutes; squeeze cabbage dry and discard juice.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir cabbage and onion until cabbage is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and other spices and herbs listed.
Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in egg noodles and return to a boil. Cook noodles uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
Lightly mix egg noodles into the cabbage mixture; season with more spices if desired and add tomato at the end.

~Cat

Our recipe is Slovak and does not have the caraway seeds or tomato.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Our recipe is Slovak and does not have the caraway seeds or tomato.
That is good, also! Sometimes we do not add them.

Your friend,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,959
This danged thread keeps popping up in the right-hand column as active and I ended up making Polish cabbage and noodles tonight. The shepherd can wait for his pie.

My recipe uses three ingredients, plus water. I boil wide, flat noodles, then drain. After shredding the cabbage I steam it lightly, just until it no longer looks raw. Drain that too. Then melt a little butter or stick margarine into two pans (I use one large frypan and the pot I used for steaming the cabbage and boiling noodles) and fry each in their own pan until they are a bit brown and the noodles are a little crisp on some edges. Then "marry" the two into the pan, fry up just a bit more to blend the flavors, and eat. Add salt and pepper if you like.

From taking the ingredients out to stuffing our faces is a half hour or less. Near-instant gratification!
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
That is very good!

Your friend,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
This danged thread keeps popping up in the right-hand column as active and I ended up making Polish cabbage and noodles tonight. The shepherd can wait for his pie.

My recipe uses three ingredients, plus water. I boil wide, flat noodles, then drain. After shredding the cabbage I steam it lightly, just until it no longer looks raw. Drain that too. Then melt a little butter or stick margarine into two pans (I use one large frypan and the pot I used for steaming the cabbage and boiling noodles) and fry each in their own pan until they are a bit brown and the noodles are a little crisp on some edges. Then "marry" the two into the pan, fry up just a bit more to blend the flavors, and eat. Add salt and pepper if you like.

From taking the ingredients out to stuffing our faces is a half hour or less. Near-instant gratification!
Reading about a recipe can really make you crave it! Your recipe is like mine. Many people in my area use haluski noodles which are not very wide but very thick. My step daughter sometimes uses something she calls dumplings. I'm not sure what they are. And she also cooks brussel sprouts and adds them to it, and I have done that occasionally, but I cook my brussel sprouts until they fall apart instead of putting them in whole. I cook my cabbage and noodles until they are brown and a little crispy like you do, but my step-daughter does not. Her noodles are still white and her cabbage is still green. I like our way better.

When I make stuffed cabbage rolls I always make cabbage and noodles with the leftover cabbage. The only part that is thrown away is the core.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,476
I love Haluski. I add sausage to mine and have had it with bacon. I also add sour cream at the end.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ski-84077.html
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
That is nice!

Your friend,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
Senior Cook
 
Raspberrymocha55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pike County
Posts: 202
You all are making me so hungry. I grew up with a Czech dad. Noodles, cabbage and pork were plentiful. My hubby hates vegetables and cabbage in particular. I really miss cabbage! I break down and cook it once in a while despite his protests that it smells up the house! Oh, I do miss cabbage...
Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,107
Yummy!

I just read through this thread and love it. I, too, like cabbage...any way it can be prepared.

Cat's recipe is very similar to one I've made for years that is called Carpathian Cabbage, except that browned ground beef is added to the mix. Doesn't matter. Cabbage is a good thing. Part of my family background is Slovenian, so cabbage is often part of the menu.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Online, I found many solutions for eliminating the smell of cabbage cooking. Here are a few of them.

Place a bowl with 1 inch of white vinegar on the counter and it will absorb the smell of the cabbage cooking.

Add 1 tsp of white vinegar to the pot when you are cooking cabbage.

Add 1 TBS lemon juice to the pot when you are cooking cabbage.

As with everything you read online, the only way to see if it works is to try it. My family loves cabbage so much that the smell of cabbage cooking means they are going to have a delicious dinner.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,162
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Online, I found many solutions for eliminating the smell of cabbage cooking. Here are a few of them.

Place a bowl with 1 inch of white vinegar on the counter and it will absorb the smell of the cabbage cooking.

Add 1 tsp of white vinegar to the pot when you are cooking cabbage.

Add 1 TBS lemon juice to the pot when you are cooking cabbage.

As with everything you read online, the only way to see if it works is to try it. My family loves cabbage so much that the smell of cabbage cooking means they are going to have a delicious dinner.
Does that also get rid of that taste that is like the smell? I know vinegar gets rid of that taste and smell when I make Danish red cabbage.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
Senior Cook
 
Raspberrymocha55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pike County
Posts: 202
Oh, but cabbage smells so good, makes my mouth water! My hubby is simply anti- veggie, so he can just suffer when I cook cabbage once or twice per year!
Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,162
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Oh, but cabbage smells so good, makes my mouth water! My hubby is simply anti- veggie, so he can just suffer when I cook cabbage once or twice per year!
You have got to be kidding. Cooking cabbage produces a truly foul smell.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
Senior Cook
 
Raspberrymocha55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pike County
Posts: 202
To each their own. Although I must agree that it smells sulfurish when overcooked.
Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #40
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Yummy!

I just read through this thread and love it. I, too, like cabbage...any way it can be prepared.

Cat's recipe is very similar to one I've made for years that is called Carpathian Cabbage, except that browned ground beef is added to the mix. Doesn't matter. Cabbage is a good thing. Part of my family background is Slovenian, so cabbage is often part of the menu.
That sounds very good!

Thank you all for these discussions of the recipe! All of you are so kind to me.

Your friend,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cabbage, noodles, recipe

Our Cabbage and Noodles This is a very good dish of DA. I had to input through the online translater to put it to English but I still did the edit. 1 pound cabbage, shredded 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 onion, chopped salt and ground black pepper to taste 1/4 pound wide egg noodles 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, or to taste Pinches of cayenne pepper, sage, rosemary, to taste Dash of garlic powder 1 large tomato, chopped Place shredded cabbage in a bowl; sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Allow cabbage to stand for 30 minutes; squeeze cabbage dry and discard juice. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir cabbage and onion until cabbage is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and other spices and herbs listed. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in egg noodles and return to a boil. Cook noodles uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Lightly mix egg noodles into the cabbage mixture; season with more spices if desired and add tomato at the end. ~Cat 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.